Discharge types

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pastaboy62, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering how many people here use the chuteless method of discharge. Just leaving the opening there and having the grass go all over the place. Is that okay?
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

It is not okay when you pick up a rock and throw it 30 feet towards a window...
  3. My chutes are stuck into the rafters of the garage. If I had some of those new rubber chutes like Hustler has I'd probably keep them on. Because "they flip up out of your way." I might even flip them down once in a while.
    I'd really like to have an OCDC (operator controlled discharge chute) for the WB.
  4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Hardly anyone around here uses them. Most of the mowers that come in for service either have them removed or just have them flipped up and wearing holes where they lay.

Seems like everyone is coming out with new heavy duty rubber ones. I like that idea if they are heavy enough. Cause the few that do use them around here end up bending the crap out of the metal ones.

One of my customers had one of his wonderful employees on a 72" Toro Z without a chute...it put a baseball through the wall of a new townhouse. Just something to think about :)
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Chutes off for us but we put a mulch plate over the outlets, don't need to take a chance of throwing grass/debris through window and in beds. Our grasses can be mulched don't know about your area. I think it saves times with outlet blocked since you can go in any direction and not worry about throwing grass on sidewalks, next door neighbor, etc. etc.
  6. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Or you can tear it off on a tree going 15 mph and ake it look like a accordion. I didn't really care though, I have no use for it and was gunna take it off and throw it away anyways