Discharging Clumps

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by statman, Apr 29, 2002.

1. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Scag 52" Super Z, and am having a bad clumping problem this year. I cleaned under the deck and have even bought new blades, but still discharge clumps.

I am using Gator blades now (I usually use high lift), and the problem seems a little worse.

HELP, please!
  2. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

statman i purchased a new 52" Scag SWZU walkbehind and i run doubles on it and it cuts like a dream. First of all how tall of grass are you cutting? If its 9/10" per week then any mower made will clump with single blades. Try using the standard marbain blades on bottom and mid=gators on top youll see a big difference, hope this helps out Marks Mowing Service
  3. bad_chad48

bad_chad48 LawnSite Member

yea, i am also having the same problems but I have a 61in turf tiger... any help would be great
  4. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

I'm only cutting 2-3 " off at a time. How do you run doubles? Do you just put two blades on each shaft? Do you criss-cross them? Do you put a spacer between the blades?
  5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

glad to see more interest in doubles for they are one of the best things invented (thanks to eric) and will be of great help to you. try doing a search, there are tons of threads on how to set them up, and even for each brand mower and blade etc etc etc. also check out eric elms website.
  6. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: to start get rid of the gators in high grass, esp wet the gator will tend to clump. you may want to cut a 1/2-1 high you may notice a hugh differecnce. also if your scag has any type of spacer under the blade you may want to try to put that spacer on top of the blade this will allow for more air flow and even a claener cut, you may also could be cutting at a speed to fast for high grass, try slowing down and maybe not use the entire width of the deck (8-10 inches ). tony
  7. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

We are all clumping up in northwest ohio it is because of all the moisture in the air and ground. I have found that by using high lift off-set blades it has helped out a lot, the only problem is scag doesn't make these blades for their mowers but bobcat does and the part number for these blades are bo-17a for your 52 mower and bo-21 for your 61 mower. These part numbers are from my j-thomas catalog and the number for j-thomas is 800-828-7980 (usually takes two days till you receive order). I use these on my tigers and I will never use any other type of blade again (i've tried them all doubles,gators,highlift and none come close to these) the only thing you have to worry about is these blades sit lower than normal blades so be sure to raise your decks one more notch to offset the difference.
  8. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I have never had good luck using gator blades. They seems to leave a poor cut, and always clump more than a high lift blade. Try the high lift blade and see how it works for you. Doubles are another great option to try. I am using a Lazer Z HP 52".
  9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

If the grass is the least bit moist...ditch the gators!...even on a "double" set-up.

Gators + moisture = BIG CLUMP PROBLEMS!

I learned this "the hard way". ;)
  10. perfection lawn care

perfection lawn care LawnSite Member

I can tell you people are not big fans of the gators!

That is all I have always used, and I am now realizing why I have problems with some of my cutting. Last week I went to the doubles, both high lifts, and seemed to do a better job. Today will tell all when I do the 10 lawns I have scheduled, to really see the difference.

If it works I am going to weld all my gators together and turn them into a boat anchor. My next test is the Mo-Deck treatment, no one likes scraping!