Disclaimers and Guarantees

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GREENITUP, Jun 6, 2005.

1. GREENITUP

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

I am in the process of setting up new invoices and estimate forms for my fert & squirt business and was just curious how many of you have this written out on your working papers and invoices you give to clients? I showed my new forms to a local printer who is a TGCL customer and he said "where are all or your disclaimers like the ones TGCL has?" I told him the last thing I want to be is like them - but I also want to cover myself as much as possible too. I am very confidant in my work - but all of my experience was for my former employer who had no written disclaimers..... so I wasn't as concerned - but I am now going on my own (LLC). Any examples would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. (And before anybody asks, YES - I am licensed and insured)

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You need to contact your Dept. of Agriculture. They will have the exact wording that you need, as required by law. This will become part of the service agreement.

3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

be upfront and honest, don't blow your customers all the b/s that tg/cl and scotts do.. explain that a lush, thick green, and healthy lawn won't happen overnight, rather it takes time. that will save the heck out of service calls also. scotts and tg/cl will show up on a new account infested with weeds on a 100deg + day and spray the hell out of it, insted you might fert it, and scedule a fall spray when it will be most effective anyway (and not kill the grass). learned the hard way treating ponds for algae! NO GUARNTEE it's a living organism subject to the enviroment temp/fert/weather.

4. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

Do not be foolish hire an attorney one that specializes in pest control. Check around with others you do not practice law spend the $200.00 to $300.00. Customers are smarter these days your next customer could be an attorney looking for a new lawn, which you will replace. Trust me TGLC I am not a fan of but use there logic those disclaimers are there for a reason. Your biggest fear is to write or copy somebody else’s contract Get an attorney this cannot be stressed enough…..

5. GREENITUP

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advise. Runner - your state requires you to attach a written disclaimer to your invoices? I am aware we are required to provide the customer with info. on what is applied and precautions for them... but thought a guarantee was just to cya...
    ATAK - you sound like you have been burned by a customer before. I don't use contracts and would not copy anyone else's if I did.... just trying to figure out how other guys set up. I will certainly look into the lawyer thing.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I thought that was what you were refering to, but perhaps I was wrong. It sounds like you were just talking about a quality type guarantee. What I was reffering to, is a Risk/Benefit info sheet about pesticides that we are required to give each customer. This is part of the service agreement, as we have to have their signature on this.