1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Disconnect ground when welding?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mpm32, Oct 27, 2006.

1. mpm32

mpm32 LawnSite Member

If you are working on a piece of equipment, say a mower, is it advisable to disconnect the ground from the battery when MIG welding? Or, does it not make any difference?
  2. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

That's what I've heard. This protects the electronics.
  3. mpm32

mpm32 LawnSite Member

Thought so, thanks for the confirmation.
  4. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive done alot of welding on my Z. I never disconnected anything. But I have covered my fuel tanks with soaked towels.
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

ALWAYS Disconnect any battery cables on anything before doing any welding.

I myself blew a Kohler MV20 coil right after getting in the biz by not doing so.
    A guy I worked with in the auto biz years ago blew the top right off a battery in a car welding on the exhaust system.

Best be safe than sorry.

And Chad, You have just been lucky thus far....I would suggest taking the cables loose during future welding jobs.
  6. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely disconnect the grd before welding. I've recently been to the Komatsu, Kobelco and Case schools and they all say to either disconnect the grd or turn off the main disconnect sw before welding. Simple, easy insurance. Beat the laws of average.... always be safe!