1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Disconnect the tilt switch on Lazer?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jason Pallas, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got an electrical issue I'm trying to sort out. I think it may be a bad tilt sensor.
    The unit (48Lazer HP w/21 kaw) won't start/crank. If I jumper the tilt switch, the unit starts fine HOWEVER, none of the safety features work AND the kill to the engine doesn't work. The engine will eventually shut down - but only because of the fuel solenoid.
    My question - is my jumpering the tilt switch #1 causing the lack of a kill in the ignition cycle and #2 deactivating the entire safety switch system.
    BTW - I have ordered the tilt sensor from J Thomas. I'm looking to bypass the system - just the opposite, I'm trying to get it back to normal. Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds odd to me. From what I know by passing the tilt switch should have no effect on the other safety switches or the key switch engine kill. I am no saying the tilt switch is not bad but it sounds like you may have more than one problem going on. I would have to see a wiring schematic to be sure but that is what I think.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with fixer on possibly two problems, You should have a interlock delay modual mounted to the front cover. Your engine kill wire feeds into this modual then to the ignition switch. If it's burned/shorted out it could cause your whole problem not just the tilt switch.

But, I don't know if there is a test for this modual or not.
  4. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I pulled up the schematic and had a look. However, I could not find the interlock/delay module on the machine. It appears on the diagram but I can't seem to locate it on the machine. Would jumpering the tilt switch bypass the module too? Thanks for your help.
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well Jason, I'm not very familiar with Exmarks. All the tilt switches I've seen were only two wires, One went to ground the other to the engine kill lead/delay modual so if bad all was needed is cut the wire going to the kill lead/delay.

I worked on one last week with electrical problems, The ignition switch was mounted on a front panel under the seat. Four screws held this front panel on, the delay was mounted on the back side of this panel.

If you want to post the serial number off your unit I will see if I can pull up the wire diagram.
  6. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

if you have relays that are the same mark them, on my bobcat i have 3. I had a relay problem that was for the safety cut out, seat,brake,blade . Anyway number them in order try switching them around to see what works and doesnt, check the fuses.