Disconnected Safety?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrodgers, Apr 1, 2002.

1. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

How many of you guys disconnect the safety swithches (blades and trans) on their mowers. I personally like them, but I know alot of guys who take them off first thing with a new mower. Am I alone here?

2. jmcooper

jmcooper LawnSite Member

I keep mine in working order at all times. You never know when you will wish you had.

3. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

closed up the opc on my tbar to allow for 3 point or zero turns by pulling machine back as well as moving the beck up going over bumps.

4. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

I keep mine.. How will the insurance look when they find that out?

5. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

With all the ambulance chasers and osha inspectors running around today?

6. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

Had to bypass the one for the seat on the one my wife uses @ home she is to short legged
    & not heavy enough don't stay on the seat properly the mower cuts out on bumps.all others are OEM.

7. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep them. I did have to jumper seat switch when it failed and mower would not start.

Mark

8. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

Had to jump ones on handles after pressure wash
    to get back on trailer after they dried it works fine took me 20min. @ car wash to figure why the thing would not keep running what a dork.

9. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I used to take them off but around the mid - late 90's most of them were not a simple unplug to disable. Now with employees also theres no way I'm risking someone chopping their foot off when they go to pick up some trash and slip towards the discharge. In short leave them on.

10. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

youre not alone, i dont mind them either.

you get used to having them, although if you dont run the safety when you use a machine with them its real annoying.

when i worked for a lco we used to bypass them. he was a paranoid guy, can't believe he let us do that-insurance and all.