Disconnecting partial zone

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by hdhillin, Jul 13, 2007.

1. hdhillin

hdhillin LawnSite Member

I have a commercial property that has a fence dividing a field from the manicured area. The field has wild grass and the manicured area has St. Augustine grass. There are two zones irrigating both ends of the property. I need to disconnect the area that irrigates the field without disconnecting the other area. I guess dividing the zones. I have only replaced sprinkler heads, I have no experience at irrigation work beyond that. How do I stop the system from irrigating the field without plugging the line to that area?

2. Have to see the layout. Hard to give an answer based on just your description even though I completely understand your problem. If you no longer want to water that area you can always go cap each head. Ideally you make it a separate zone that can still be watered from time to time for grass fire safety reasons.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

If you're going to completely abandon the field zone then you could find the main lateral line supplying that area and cap it off, on both sides of the line. That way if the field is going to have its own valve in the future a new lateral can be routed and connected to the field section.

If it's a temporary situation where the field area is going to be reactivated in the future off the existing valve zone then cut in a ball valve on the main lateral line feeding the field. You can shut down the field leaving the other area intact. Then when the field needs to get running again just go in and open the isolation valve.

4. This is assuming the water flows from the St Aug to the field and no tees are feeding other wanted areas from the field.

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

True... it will depend on the zone layout.

6. hdhillin

hdhillin LawnSite Member

Thanks for the posts. The owner does not want me to cap anything off, just stop irrigating the field for now.

7. hdhillin

hdhillin LawnSite Member

I don't believe there are any tees in this area.

8. Then reread purp's post and put in ball valves.

9. hdhillin

hdhillin LawnSite Member

Ok Thanks.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Upgrade all the heads to Hunter I-20s and use the flow stop to shut them down.