Discontinued 261-T? Now what?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tlvoskamp, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Tlvoskamp

Tlvoskamp LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,

I have a trimmer question. I am currently using the 261-t and it has really fit the bill for me, and has been super reliable. I went to go and buy another one this week and the dealer told me it was discountinued. He told me it was being replaced by the 265. My first glance i thought this thing was Ugly. Anyone have any experience with the 265. I am tempted to just go with a Stihl FS 80R, so I can know I will have a unit around that will not be phased out. Any thoughts from you guys or a recommendation for a Comparable Stihl unit to the 261-T.

Thanks,

Travis

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

SRM265T. It's torquey-er than the 261T and gets a bit better fuel economy.

Now if you're dead set against the looks, I guess that rules out alot of trimmers...

3. Tlvoskamp

Tlvoskamp LawnSite Member

So you have used the 265, do you like it.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

where is this power curve and fuel consumption comparison info located?

5. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

If the Stihl is the 4 cycle , you might want to stay away from it. Lots of problems with the exhaust port carbon

6. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

The Stihl FS80R's have been the most reliable trimmer around for years. More power than a 261T and the new 265 as well as being lighter.

7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

stay away from the stihl 4 mix?.... ah..... NO

8. MOWPART_SCOTT

MOWPART_SCOTT LawnSite Member

Yes they are discontinued but I still have some in stock. They are not listed on mowpart.com because they are NLA and we only have about 3 left i think? I can sell these at $284.00 + Shipping. These are brand new and we file the warrenty for you. If you would like more info please call me and ask for Scott at 972-635-7225

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Don't get too used to the FS 80R. The word out is that it's days are numbered. Stihl is putting it's full weight into 4 stroke technology.

10. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

all echo's 261 will be changed to 265. Biggest change is that it's orange and they are stream lining the plastic design.

Not much of a difference between the two. This isn't a fashion show, so who cares what it looks like really.