Discount for close your own neighborhood

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassmanak, Jan 1, 2008.

1. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you give a major discount or a flat rate price for your own neighborhood? With the rising cost of gas, tickets, DOT, just things like that in general, im thinking of making a major move in my own neighborhood here. We have 3 connecting neighborhoods, all connect to each other in a 1 mile square. Also have a good size group of commercial properties, a condo association, and a retirement home. Im thinking of offering upwards of 25% off, or cuts starting as low as 20.00 do get in. All these houses are smaller, stuff i would normally charge between 25-30 on depending on exact services. I am also hoping to obtain fert, aeration, and power raking with thse people as well. I have a bunch of door hangers still from last year, upwards of 4000. I would like to design a small thing to go along with it though to let people know it is for these neighborhoods only, discounts, things like that. Any have thoughts or ideas on this, sorry for the long wind.
  2. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

TOO big of a discount! Maybe 10% but at $25 and lowering to $20 that's a whopping 20% which is really high.
    We have a $30 minimum and leave that be....
  3. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I cut the lady across the street for $20.00 the girl next door for $10.00 when I cut mine. To cut all 3 of us it takes me a half hour
  4. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

I always take in to account the proximity of a new account to others when quoting, however, that seems a little high to me as well. We have done a pretty good job of saturating our neighborhood. If we don't have to unload but once to do a couple of jobs, that's just pure profit!!!! You really don't need to low-ball if you do a good job.
    Good luck!!
  5. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I think you would be smart to just price these houses the same as anywhere else. You are still mowing, trimming, edging and blowing the yard just like all the others. I would not work for cheap just because its close, if you had one that was three miles away, you probably would not consider giving a discount. What are you really spending in gas to drive 3 miles and back? Maybe a dollar? I think you will regret it, if you start giving these discounts.
  6. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I've learned that it's best not to scat where you eat!
  7. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

My ideal goal is to be able to get people in groups, only having to unload once kind of deal. if i can show up and cut 3-4 houses without driving anywhere, i make a hell of a lot more money, not to mention, driving in this town is just nerve racking, to drive a few miles at times can take 15-20 minutes. traffic can be terrible.
  8. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

You should come to the Washington DC suburbs of northern Virginia if you want to see traffic.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

This was exactly what I was thinking.

There are no guarantees with anything in business, your intentions are to line up a bunch of customers at each stop, but at those low prices, you will inadvertently attract some cheap customers. I did a similar thing when I started, I was doing $5 off for customers in my development, and with a few exceptions, most of them were tightwads. No upsells, always calling to skip, etc. I learned my lesson on that one. Don't charge less for being close by, charge MORE for being farther away, if anything.

Why not offer a referral incentive to new customers, make them do the work to get you new business?
  10. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I use to take $5 off they were only a few streets away but Im not giving my services away.