1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discount on a 50 driveway lot??

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by nlminc, Feb 27, 2001.

1. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I had asked this Question in the temp. forum, but never saw any answers, so I'm posting again. A management co. gave me an account with 50 drives all close together (1 mile) not easy driveway's most are stone, tight and hilly. I also have to shovel walks for most of them. The co. doing it before me got fire for not showing during 2 storms. Sooooo... My question to you is how would you price this? They told me to price by the driveway (management Co.)

Thanks, Chris
  2. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

nlmine, What kind of stone? 3/4 , 1/2 or peastone.

ENZOFORZA LawnSite Member

If I had to bid on a plow job like that i would just look at it hourly. if it is going to take you 6 hours than I would figure $125/hr X 6 hrs = $750/50 driveways = $15 per driveway. this $125 would cover myself+1 helper to shovel. The $$ per hour will be different for everyone. I figure 125/hr coveres me, fuel, 1 helper, wear + tear on truck, + a pretty good profit.
  4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

You are 1/2 way or more through your season. Charge him full price for good service. He went with the cheap contractor and look where it got him, why do him a favor. If it was me I would charge more than regular.

5. Yardworks

Yardworks LawnSite Member

I would definitely charge more then $15 a driveway. You should figure out a minimum amount for the small easy one's and go up from there. Min. charges around here are usually 25-30 dollars.
  6. I agree with Geoff, they must pay more for the rest of the seasons due to overbooking. This is what i do and people are happy to have someone reliable.

About discount, not really. even a little 2.50$ X 50 clients= 125$ X 20 events = just enough to go to Denver with 2500$ in your pocket.

7. 66Construction

66Construction LawnSite Member

Do like the other guys said, charge full price if not more. Let them try and find another dependable contractor to take that job at this point in the season. It doesn't sound like a cake job at all. The worst thing is when you're half way through the job thinking this was worth twice what I charged. I'd want more then $15 per driveway.
  8. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Time to pay the Piper!!!

He must get a penelty for using a cheaper service:D

You didn't plan to have him,so no price breaks for him.

Good Luck
  9. Plowboy

Plowboy LawnSite Member

My pricing plan is 10%discount before nov 1, full price till jan 1, 15% over after that. when I bid on a job. This seems to really encourage people to commit early. I also have a fix-em clause. If I have to come after someone else has made a mess on a lot or drive I charge double, becuase time and equipment suffer when you are fixing a mess.

Be fair, but make them pay something for waiting! Professional service comes at a Porfessional price!
  10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If those driveways would go for 30 anywhere else,I might do them for 25-if they all go together-but charge extra for heavy deep snow-this is when you get behind schedule and need to make extra money for reduced efficiency.