Discounts...and orientals

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by drsogr, Oct 4, 2005.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, Well I have done probably 10 estimates for orientals in the past year. I have gotten none of the jobs. Everytime I give and estimate for sodding or landscaping, they want a discount. I DON'T DO DISCOUNTS. I am not and never will be a discount landscaper. I want to stop estimating this accounts, but I some how thing that would be wrong. What do you guys think? Have you ever stopped estimating for race, color, or income? I know that this may make me sound like a racist, but why am I wasting my time estimating jobs I will never get, or never really want, due to the language barrier.

Thanks,

2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I won't even waste the fuel to go to potential Arab clients. Never land a job with them, unless I were to take a 1/3 off the price.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

drsogr

Some time as businessmen we have to recognize differences in Cultures. Most Asia business is not done on a set price like our culture. Therefore Asian's are used to arguing over the price. I suggest you go do the estimate and add in the bickering value and let them talk you down. In many parts of the world to pay the asking price is considered and sign of low intelligent and gains no respect.

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I don't do estimates for the middle east Indians, nothing but a waste of time and I am not racist either but have learned my lesson.

5. bossy boots

bossy boots LawnSite Member

discounts are for street merchants and ppl selling outa tents in the desert! ..may sound mean but its true, I am selling a sevice not a camel ......................

truly very sorry if this offends anyone .

6. drsogr

I feel the exact same way. If I wanted to bicker about the price, I would have been a car salesmen. I refuse to become a discount landscaper.

7. drsogr

I am completely aware of that. The problem comes, when I give their white neighbor a set price, and then I give the asian couple a quote and its $400 more to begin with it. How do I explain that? I would run into problems with price gouging and discrimination.

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

ethnic backgrounds are a big barrier, but some of these jobs can be landed with a buffer zone knowing you are going to need to let them haggle, its in there culture...

9. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

mid easterners are a no no too much bs

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Ok

I will admit I won't work for certain people also. I Know 99% of the time Cultural difference are going to be a problem and it is going to be a head ache before the job is over. I try and Qualify everyone over the phone. I might lose a few because I get gut feeling and don't drive out to give an estimate. As a ethnic Person I know ethnic people who were not born in this country tend to be very paranoid about getting their money worth. I have run into some real PITA types. One such PITA loved the install the day we finished but two weeks later decided her friends didn't and wanted me to redo it for free.

Be careful what you say on these forums. There are more ethnic members here than most realize. You neighbor or competitor just might be reading right now. I know my neighbors are, and this is the World Wide Web