1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discounts for New Customers???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by HDB LAWN CARE, Jan 31, 2006.

HDB LAWN CARE LawnSite Member

Was thinking of running discounts to attract new customers, like 50% off
    1st mowing to try our service, or Free 1st mow with contract. Any ideas. Can these types of discounts help me or come back to bite me in the butt...?

:rolleyes: or :gunsfirin :cry:
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

if they are going to hire you , then they will or wont, dont loose money over it.... maybe give a discount for a refural for a neighbor from an existing customer, gets more customers and keeps your route tight.....
  3. 4x4Jim

4x4Jim LawnSite Member

I give my customers $10 off their next mowing if they refer me to someone and get me a new account.
  4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

They can help and hurt. I never give a first cut free. I have used discounts when trying to tighten up my route. I will always offer the discount like on the 5th cut or something of that nature. That way they have to use you more than that once to get the discount, and they are not just taking advantage of you for a free cut. If you can build 3, 4, 10, etc/ In a given area than the discount will benefit you in the long run. If you can get 5-15 whatever homes in a particular neighborhood then your profit will end up being higher than if you are traveling all over town/county to do the same number. I recommend if you offer discounts for the most part make them localized instead of generalized. JMO.
  5. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

how about offer 1 time $20 lawn cut
    new customers!!! $20 lawn cut!!!!!

some restrictions apply

only up to 1/2 acre lots
    local lawns only

then you can bid them the real price once you cut it once.