1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discounts incentive on Flyers?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lynden-Jeff, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Im in the middle of making flyers and have a couple questions. My advertising guy recommend I offer some kind of incentive like 15% off for yearly contracts. Do you think this is wise? I mean I can always over quote a little and then factor in the discount which sounds good to the customer but I do believe it will generate calls. Also getting a yearly contract with residential intern saves me time aswell. Maybe I should make it 10%? Feedback is appreciated.

2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I can count on 1 hand how many customers that we have gained, because of a special incentive. We have tried it, and logic would tell you that it should work. No better response than anything else.

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

I Did The Incentive Route Once And What I Got In Return Was A Bunch Of Pita Customers Wanting To Pinch Pennies On Everything ..

MTAYLORFFP LawnSite Member

I've offered like the 6th cut free or 10 dollars off of existing customers charge, with every referal they give me, works pretty good.. Penny penchers really want that free cut!!
  5. GrassQuester

GrassQuester LawnSite Member

No discounts on your flyers.....I put on my flyers what I charge per month alot of people oppose to this strategy but it works well for me no guessing games.........This is what I charge I wont go lower period they like the price they get the service they dont they find someone cheaper.
  6. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is what my Guru says:

Advertising flyer mistake #4: Closing passively

This is the typical close to a flyer: "for more information, call 000-0000." That's passive. Instead, make an offer to motivate action and close the deal! Here are five basic, proven closers:

* Buy before (DATE), and receive $10 off. This closer is effective at getting immediate action, and works especially well for businesses offering products and services that are essentially one-time purchases. On the other hand, it cuts into your profit margin. And, if your business depends on repeat customers, this closer may bring you price-shoppers who won't buy from you again without further discounting.
    * Come in before (DATE), and get a coupon good for 10% off your next purchase! This closer only rewards a customer when they return, which helps you build a regular clientele. You can even delay the reward, but the longer it's put off the bigger it must be. For example, a housecleaning service might offer as an incentive the fifth cleaning free (essentially a 20% discount off five cleanings). Note, too, that the word "FREE" is a powerful attractor.
    * Act before (DATE), and get (VALUE-ADDED PRODUCT/SERVICE), FREE with your purchase! This closer doesn't diminish the value of your basic product or service, but it still offers an incentive for fast action. It also works that word "free" into your flyer. If your business offers products or services that are regularly purchased (food, household items, hair cutting, lawn mowing, etc.), this offer exposes new customers to an "extra" that may turn into a regular purchase, leading to increased incremental sales.
    * Call me for an in-home consultation before (DATE), and I'll bring the pizza, FREE! This closer offers a bonus unrelated to your product or service as an incentive. Depending on your business, that can be helpful. For example, I may not want to hear about life insurance or new cleaning products, but if you bring dinner I may be willing to listen to your spiel.
    * Book before (DATE) to take advantage of our slow-season schedule and prices! This closer flips the offer around, and essentially attaches a negative consequence to any delay or hesitation. Remember the tip about people being more averse to pain than attracted to reward? This is how to put it into action. Similar closers can include limits on availability or quantity ("Offer limited to the first 25 customers, so call now!"). Note: the more-believable the reason for the limit, the more powerful this closer becomes.
  7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Great ideas Freddy. Thanks for that.