1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discounts to Veterans?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wells, May 31, 2004.

1. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Memorial Day got me thinking about offering a discount to Veterans and possibly free mowing services to any soldiers wife that has a husband serving over in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Unfortunately I have neither of these types of clients right now.

So my question is this: Do any of you offer similar discounts to a soldiers family and veterans. After all their sacrifice is what keeps us living the American dream.
  2. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

5% for current.. 0% for veteran
  3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I never thought of that but yea a discount would be nice for the veterans, especially the older ones that cant cut their grass anymore.
  4. MJD75

MJD75 LawnSite Member

That certainly sounds like a nice gesture although that would not work for me. The majority of my customers are elderly and most of them have served in the military therefore making it quite an expensive discount.
  5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Just give them the discount, but mark up your prices 5%.
  6. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

So you're saying tell them they are getting a 5% discount (so you look good) and then screw them with a 5% mark-up?

I hope this is a misprint or I'm mis-understanding or something cause it really sounds like your try put the wood to folks that went out of their way, and sacraficed life and limb so that you can get in that nice big truck of yours and drive around town mowing your little heart out.

Land of the free huh? Free for you maybe.

Like I said, I really hope I mis-understood that comment.

You know what, I respect someone a whole lot more for just saying, "sorry, I don't give discounts" than someone who lies about it.
    :angry: :angry: :angry:
  7. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

Current: yes

mowing services to any soldiers wife that has a husband serving over in Iraq, Afghanistan, or any active duty for dirt cheep.

Veteran: no

Unfortunately I have neither of these types of clients right now.
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

sorry, i dont give discounts.
  9. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I agree with Highgrass here.

I'm hoping thats just a little misprint or maybe your still underdeveloped 18 year old brain just farted and you lost your senses for a bit.

I am a 10 year veteran of The United States Marine Corps.

Before I checked in at lawnsite this AM, I was over in a fallen heroes memorial that listed the names, ranks, ages and hometowns of every Marine who has given the ultimate sacrifice since way back in Desert Storm
    (You would have been what 12 or 13 then?)

Son, I just wonder what the moms and dads of all of those young people would think if they saw what you have written here.

It's raining here in America's Hometown today.
    I hope it is raining down there in Texas too.
    Maybe you will see this and spend some quality time considering what you have said here.
    Maybe you will realize the error of your ways.

Maybe then I'll see a response, or maybe you'll march your sorry little frame down to your local recruiting office and earn the right to live here.

But I doubt it.

Eagle Scout my A$$

BTW, I do offer discounts to any family who has a loved one serving serving at this time.
  10. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a veteran and my customers are not. May be I should tell them that they should pay 5% more. I like this game.