Discouraging day; ZTR mistakes

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lynden-Jeff, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

Well what a bad day. Picked up my ZTR and walk behind on Saturday and on Saturday while test driving it the main deck drive belt flip backwards and started to come apart. I took it back today and then replaced it for free and I was on my way. Went to my moms and I was showing her and my step dad and while mowing I freak in bumped there brand new air condition. My step dad went off the deep end and I felt stupid. It only dented the cage and a few cooling fins but it is fine just embarrassing!

Anyways after that I packed up and went to my grandparents to practice on there fairly large yard which has a hill so I can get used to using it on grades. Anyways one pass up the hill and I hear a super loud screech from under the deck. Immediately shut it off and think its the belt again. It wasn't a belt but a HUGE chunk of twisted metal which I though was ripped off the deck by the blades. Angry I loaded up the Z and went back to the dealer. Turns out it was one of the DECK pulley covers which had I guess shaken loose and fell under the deck. Stupid because I just got the darn thing and it wasn't tight from the factory.

Discouraging to say the least but what have been some of your mistakes? I'm sure everyone does silly things when they start.

Cheers
    Jeff

2. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

Your dad sounds like a real tool. If you didn't damage the condenser then what was his problem?
    I practice on my own lawn so I've gotten the hang of my lawn mowers but they definately take a few hours to get used to.

3. KB Klippers

KB Klippers LawnSite Member

What kind of mower did you say you bought? Your dealer should have double checked everything before sending it out the door. Things get overlooked sometimes, but when you spend that kind of money, I would expect it to be perfect. I would take the thing back and demand a refund. Sounds like your money would be better spent elsewhere.:dizzy:

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

You did not see this come off? True this should not have come off but an AC unit and this---- I believe you need to pay a lot more attention to what is going on around you and what you are controlling.

5. Lynden-Jeff

Well it was totally my fault the about the a/c but I dont even think the right side pully guard had the nob on it. I mean I do check as much as I can since im new but this is one of the things I over looked. The dealership is real good about it and they did check everything right in front of me. I guess tightening a guard knob was just something they didnt do but they are replacing it for free. My step dad gets bent out of shape about everything but really it was still my fault. Anyways I will probably do more of a check next time before I get on. The mower is a bobcat ZT-219.

Cheers
    Jeff

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Be careful!!!! That mower can do a lot of damage. it can knock a AC unit off the pad and even punch a hole through the side of a frame house. I have been cutting a Industrial Park for 3 years (and I feel can control the Z well ) and just pushed slightly the well cover over a well. Busted the line and broke the well pump pipe. I got lucky that they allowed me to fix it rather than calling a plumber (would have been 3-4 hundred) but still cost time, A Z is very powerful- SO just take your time and be very careful ALL the time

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Good luck getting used to the new machine!

You made a good choice though, BOBCATS are awsome mowers!

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

One of the first things you should do is go over the unit from bottom to top making sure every bolt is tightened. In addition you should grease the unit and be sure oil level is correct in engine and hydro. Some of the dealers use temp help to assemble the units...sometimes that is okay sometimes it isn;t.

9. Lynden-Jeff

Ya man I hope so! Anyways I will be more careful in the future. ANy other tips?

Cheers

Jeff

10. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to know how your flyers did, I also want to know what kind of walk behind you got. I have a chance to buy a "48 Exmark belt drive for $3500 its more than I really need but it sounds like a good deal because a "36 costs $3600.