Discouraging News... any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newbomb, Dec 14, 2004.

1. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

A friend of mine stopped into the rental center where I work full time. He has been a mower and landscape contractor for at least 20 years. I mentioned I am trying to go out on my own this year and he advised against it. He says there are a number of Mexican crews out there who have left companies like Brickman to go out on their own, and are just killing local landscapers with under bidding. I do mostly mowing so I dont compete with him. I trust his word but I still think there should be a lot of residential work out there. Any thoughts?
  2. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

There is plenty of work if you are determined.

I wouldn't let some guy discourage your dream. Only the strong survive.
  3. hulan2

hulan2 LawnSite Member

Right On Gene!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

If they are from Brickman then they probly arent even here legally anymore. Brick brings in just about all of there mexican workforce on H2B Visas. On an H2B visa if you leave the company who has sponserd your visa for any reason you are to be deported.
  5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you will be fine. As long as you provide excellent customer service, you wont have to worry about the competition.
  6. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks all. That's kind of what I figured. It's just a big step.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

don't quit your other job. the future of this industry is doomed
  8. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

That's good bobby...always the encourager! :dizzy:
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, does he want the truth, or a lie?
  10. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

How is the future doomed? It is just like any other service provider...and there are only going to be more yards...The city I live in last year alone built over 10000 houses. And I live in a smaller city. Thats alot of damn yards in one year time