Discouraging

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cwlawley, Mar 11, 2006.

1. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

It has been a discouraging start to the year for me. I have given about 40 estimates this week and everytime I give one, I get turned away or talked down too low.

Here is the situation. I started with a $30.00 minimum to cut. However, the lowballers around here have pushed minimums down to $25.00. Fine...I dropped my minimum. Now, everytime I go out and take it up the azz for $25.00 they want it cheaper.

Now if this happened once or twice, I can get over it. BUT, this happened EVERY SINGLE ESTIMATE I went on today. Most I stood firm on my price, but the more I lose the more thinking I find myself doing. Yes, I want good work, work that will bring in money, but I can't lose every single estimate I do.

Oh well...just wanted to vent.

2. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Have you tried targeting the higher end residentails?

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It gets better with time, it really does.

4. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The low priced guys will be busy, keep your ads going because once the warm weather hits they won't be as motivated to work for there low price. Your phone will start ringing and people will be more receptive to paying more for a reliable service. Every year is the same the paper filled with ads this week several have in bold type " Lowest prices in yourhometown" or "Guaranteed lowest prices" what is good is that they suck up all the cheapskates

5. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Stick in there! You don't want a customer that wants the cheapest rate anyway. That customer will get bids every year. Stick to your guns!:gunsfirin

6. ArkansasLawns

ArkansasLawns LawnSite Member

Its still early in the season. I've got a few calls but for the most part it all been window shopping. When its past time for the first cut they will start saying yes.

7. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

It's still early yet. You'll be fine. Get in the upper echelon homes and do some selling. If they care at all about their property, they won't hire mow & go outfits. All of these cheap bastard jack-holes won't hang too long. When they start pissing people off, then the residents will be calling a more reliable and dependable operation. Just make sure these residents you are targeting are getting business cards and your advertisement. Tell them to hang on to them in case you can be of help to them in the future.

8. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

it could be your selling techniques..when you tell them or they ask why there lawn has a problem, why a shrub died, what the name of that shrub is, why the side walk has a sag in it,what does lime do for a lawn, and you have all the correct answers thats when a customer will forget about the price and give you the job..don't try to sell on the price..give them the price and then change the subject.. when you are talking to them talk like you already have the job.. it is important to know everything about what you are selling or you you will have to be like the others and just sell the point that you are the cheapest..

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

By and large, people who request mowing estimates before the grass has started growing are usually price shopping. Almost never do they sign up on the spot. So you'll probably get some signing up over the next few weeks.

Once the grass is growing full-tilts, half the LCO's in your area won't return phone calls at all, and you will have leverage with prospective clients.

10. down size

down size LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I always get a ton of calls once the grass starts growing and have to turn away 3/4 of them. I usualy try to give them to a couple of new guys in my area. IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME.