Discover Card must be run by a bunch of morons

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jun 7, 2006.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I got my Discover statement last month and I noticed that every single one of my Discover charges had a $.50 charge because the card was not swiped. So I called customer service and we have supposedly fixed the issue. We will see when the next statement comes.

I use Discover as my card of choice for the 1% cash back. Over the last 10 months, I've earned like $600 or so. The problem is, there are SO many places that still don't accept Discover. My trailer dealer doesn't take it and I bought two trailers last winter for over $5K. My insurance agent doesn't take it. Both take Visa & Master Card.

A local ice cream shop that I take my daughter to doesn't take Discover. When I offered the owner my Discover Card, she hands it back and says "We don't take Discover. They're just so expensive." She accepted Visa & Master Card.

So my mulch dealer calls this morning. "We are only accepting Discover until the end of the month and then no more. They are nailing us for 5% right off the top."

So now I am going to find another card with a cash back incentive.

I don't understand what Discover must be thinking.

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

It is simple amex and discover take the extra money made from merchant charges and returns a small portion to the card holder at years end. I do not accept either and have not noticed any loss of business. MC and Visa charge around 2% per transaction compared to around 4% that discover and amex charge.
  3. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

think thats bad, my dads discover balance showed up on my credit report when I went to buy a house and I don't even have a discover card. Yes they are run my morons
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

That happens to a lot of people. Is your Dad's name Ken also?

When I pulled my credit report a few years ago, my Dad's Sears Charge was listed on mine. He's had the card since I was like 2 years old! :rolleyes:
  5. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

It isn't just Discover & Amex that give a kickback to their cardholders. I am switching to Capital One Visa and they are telling me I'll get 1% cash back on all purchases.

Discover used to advertise 1% cash back in the 90's and it was a lie. You'd get your statement and 3/4's of the purchases weren't qualified. I started using the Discover Card a year ago and 100% of their charges are now qualified.

I will try Capital One and if they start playing games with "Oh that doesn't qualify and that doesn't qualify" then I will have to figure out something different.

DFW Area Landscaper
  6. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Chase get up to 5% on everyday purchases. Check out their website. I like it.
  7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You must be finding someone that takes it cause you just claimed to be charging $6,000.00 a month for a total of $60,000.00 in the past 10 months on it.... :laugh:
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, I had Discover card years ago, semi-pita card.

Watch this:

Capital One's Business Visa is accepted everywhere and earns 1 frequent flyer mile for every dollar spent. On average, I accumulate at least 5k miles / year or so... You can get airline tickets and gift certificates and all sorts of stuff with miles but all that is a rip-off! The best thing to do with the miles is to trade them for cash. Ok, yes you need at least 10,000 miles and it is traded in 10,000 mile increments. As a trade, you spend 100 miles for every dollar cash back, so for 10,000 miles they send you a check for 100 dollars, 20,000 is 200 dollars, and so on. As for the other stuff, I find you get less for your miles than with cash back, is why I say but frequent flyer miles can be used on all sorts of junk and cool crap, I just prefer the cash back, $1 per every 100 dollars spent is what it boils down to.

So, there's my 1 percent and cash back is cash BACK, literally and not subtracted from the bill, if I want to pay my bill with it cool but I can just spend the check, too.

Only thing is, you GOT to be the kind of person who pays their credit balance off in full every month: Apr is a whopping 21.9% but pay it off every month and no problem, no annual fees and no other bs. Oh yeah, you can pay online via direct transfer from your business checking account, no stamps, no envelopes, no checks to write.
  9. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't stand Capital One. Ever try to call there? How in the hell do you get a REAL person? I've heard some horror stories about what they put on ur credit too ...
  10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Try Chase, 1% cash back and non of the flyer miles junk.