Discuss your difficult customers here...

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by Loooogie, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Loooogie

Loooogie LawnSite Senior Member
    from YORK

I think this thread like may be good entertainment and maybe we can learn to deal with difficult customers better.

A lady called me and wanted her driveway done, she said it was 10 by 60 feet long, I gave here a estimate over the phone based on the info she gave me.

Anyway, she insisted she wanted the "actual price" so I went out to meaure it today, and the driveway is 150 feet long not 60. So when I gave her the new price she freaked out, I thought she was joking at first but she was dead serious and insisted I give her the orignial price. :laugh:

Anyway when she saw that I was holding my ground she kicked my off her property and called me a crook, etc... :waving:

I really do not know how people like this function in day to day life. I can't figure out if she had a really bad day or if she is really cheap or really crazy???

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  2. EWS

EWS LawnSite Member

so if it was 600 sq feet you should still have a minimum of say 200.00 in which you could have done a 1500 sq ft driveway for 200.00 im curious on what you priced her... I know what you mean about pita customers but you should never bid a job without seeing it, ho can you without seeing how much prep.... etc..

3. StratfordSealing

StratfordSealing LawnSite Member

hehehe, thats why I dont give estimates over the phone because I swear whatever mesurement they give you, go x2 with it. That or they ask if you do crack filling and you get there and the driveway looks like a smashed up windshield and they expect everycrack filled for same price as a seal even tho it would cost you $300 in crack filler. The best thing is to keep your cool and just walk away, usually get 1 like that every year.

4. Loooogie

from YORK

Min $200 charge? EWS I wish but that would never fly up here, I am sure my fellow canucks would back me up on that one.

If the customer just want a seal I give them a range based on the info they provided to me. I explain to the customer what that price includes and if their driveway is really dirty or bigger they will have to pay for the extra work.

I am not sure I would say I "bid" on the job, I gave a rough estimate based on the info provided to me, which is normal up here. Also I take the time and talk to the customers so I know the condition of the drive.

Some people just are looking to fight...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  5. Loooogie

from YORK

Wow, I have not had that much bad luck. 95% of the estimates fall within the price range I give the customer. And I only have to go to the customers once. Traffic in this city is crazy and if I had to go to every house twice my prices will go up much higher.

I had one guy last year, he was 6 foot 10. He said he measured the driveway and it was 50 feet long, it was more that 150 feet long. When I asked him how he measured it, he said he used his feet. I told him look at the size of your feet and we had a good laugh and he paid the extra.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  6. StratfordSealing

StratfordSealing LawnSite Member

Yeah im in a smaller town so for me its just less of a headache to go drive by and price it, its not that I get alot of bad luck its just that I hate being off with my price and having to tell that person its gonna be more but yes I usually get 1-2 every year that are just real jerks.

7. Loooogie

from YORK

Maybe I gotta find a small town with alot of huge driveways... a place where the square footage of the driveways are bigger than the square footage of houses.

I don't think you are having bad luck, I deal with alot of cookie cutter driveways that are all pretty much all he same so it easy to quote them. I don't mind losing a few bucks by givining prices over the phone but because I save my time and fuel and the customer is happy.

8. Loooogie

from YORK

Customer is listing his house and really wanted his driveway sealed ASAP, he called me late yesterday so I booked him this morning.

I arrived at a customers house today to do his driveway... I had called before I came as he requested and when I got there the jerk was power washing his driveway!!! I am sure he waited for me to call and then picked up his powerwasher.

When I see this I just told him I will come back tomorrow and we will seal it, and he agreed. He left a message a couple hours later that was jibberish... I mean I could not understand what the hell he was talking about but he wanted to hold off on the seal for next week.

I am 100% sure he never wanted his driveway done because when I booked him in he kept asking me if I was sure it was not going to rain.

I went outside my area and woke up early to accomidate this guy.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009