Disease ID on tree

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenT, Jul 14, 2007.

1. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

I have a poplar tree (aka tulip tree) in my property that has developed some kind of disease in the last couple of years.

The tree starts the season looking great. New leaves look great in the spring but right around this time (May-June) they start getting black spots that grow in size and then the leaves drop off.

I'm sure is some kind of fungal disease since it coincides with the rainy season here, but nothing else seems to be affected with it. The pictures show a new leaf, an older fallen leaf, a branch view, and the whole tree.

I'm in North Central Florida.

Any help from the pros with identification/treatment is appreciated. Thanks.

S4010001.JPG

S4010002.JPG

S4010007.jpg

S4010006.jpg

2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Green T,

Tar Spots. Rhytisma liriodendri

Write this down and bring a couple of leaves to your County Cooperative Extension Branch. They will give you recomendations on when to treat the tree next year after it leafs out again.

This disease will not kill the tree....Just looks bad :(

Great Photo shots!

Pete D.

3. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks!

Is it a fungus?

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Leaf spot --- no big deal, cuz it's very common, and all Tulip trees get it. Some years, it's not much of a prob. Tallest recorded Tulip tree = Indiana. Bottom line: Leaf spot on Tulip trees is purely cosmetic, and it poses no harn whatsoever to the tree's health.