Disease in Tall fescue

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Mike33, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I install new yards and not in to mainteance. I hydro-seeded a new lawn last summer it came in nice around 98% coverage on 17,000 sq. ' Customer was and still real happy, she called me the other day with question about it. I live in W.Md. and we are going thru one hell of a drought and she showed me a spot about 8x6 that was brown. I knew she has been watering and had a greener lawn care fert. , etc. and i told her it looked like it might of got fert. a little heavy there or maybe a little gas spilled out of her mower. She called that co. back and they came out and said it was some kind of disease that happens with tall fescue. I am using an athletic field from pennington seeds mix that is 90% rebel and tall fescue with small parts of blue and rye. Has any one else experience a disease like this or how can you tell when you go through a drought and water with sprinklers that is in consistant?
  2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Lawn fungus needs to be prevented before the weather gets hot and humid with warm humid nights.
  3. Mike33

What is the cure?
  4. gmenvirolawns

gmenvirolawns LawnSite Member
    from TN

Brown Patch is caused by watering in the evening during hot and humid months or fertilization before hot and humid months. If This is a brown spot in the turf it is this. Tell her to use a fungicide on her lawn.
  5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

....and next year, cut back on the nitrogen just a little.:)
  6. Mike33

Thanks eveyone for your advise.
  7. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

what did the fert. company say they would do for the disease?
  8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bayleton is good but expensive.Tell the client not to water in the evening, hit it very early morning. And don't fert when it's active.The fert guy needs to get the TF,on a program where the nitrogen supply is adequate or low and phosphorus and potassium levels are adequate.
  9. Mike33

They said the lawn was to new to treat. How ever this company just hired a guy that is a real idiot who is doing treatments. I was up the other day and we have had around 4" of rain in 5 days. I think it wasent disease just over treatment. I seedeed the yard last August 05 , i dont feel there is a problem doing any kind of treatments at this time.
  10. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

I wish I could get away with just describing it as "some kind of disease". Is there any way to get a pic posted?. You can treat, just make sure the guy knows what he's treating. Low nitrogen levels play a huge factor as well as high levels, the guy who treated should have a log of all past treatments. Alot of other factors play a role obviously, who knows he may have did a stop, turn back go with the spreader open when fetilizing.