1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Disease or dead stems?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by andyslawncare, Aug 21, 2013.

1. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

New sod 4 weeks old, 1 cut, lots of rain. Customer was overwatering after install that the pool company did. I'm going tomorrow to check for insects, and/or fungus and to fertilize. She sent me the photo attached.

photo.JPG

2. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

That's bermuda, right. Look at the gap's in the sod. It got too dry to begin with. It look's like there is shade in that picture, bermuda need's all the sunlight and air movement it can get, it doesn't handle shade well at all. What kind of soil is that sitting on? That might have something to do with that look. I don't see anything that look's like disease, and bermuda has very few disease problem's anyway. It should be fine if there is enough sunlight, just give it some time, though this might mean next spring. Just don't fertilize while that grass is under stress.

3. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

If I were a betting man I would say its probably on crappy backfill dirt

4. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

I'd bet on one cut in four weeks and more than 1/3 of the plant was cut. It's more than likely just 'stemmy'.