disease?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Jul 1, 2007.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

lawns look like this everywhere. is this disease or heat stress? it has been hot, with no rain here. about an inch in the past month.

i haven't seen it this dry this early before so i was wondering if the vets have seen this before. will most of these lawns come back when the weather cools off and it starts raining again in the fall?

IMG_0972.jpg

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like that lawn got very dry before the homeowner decided to kick the water to it. The brown places aren't dead in that case, it's just where the grass went dormant to protect itself from the drought. It will green up again, but the fastest way will be with some rain. Well water just dosn't have the ummph to get it greened back up as fast.

3. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Are there any lesions on the blades?

4. mrkosar

from Ohio

no not really. not red thread, not dollar spot...if it is a disease it would probably be brown patch or summer patch, but for how many lawns that i have seen have it i thought it might just be heat stress. i was hoping some of the older guys on here would tell me it happens when there are droughts like we are having now. i know it is tough to diagnosis without upclose pics, but was hoping others have seen similar pics before. here is another lawn with it.

it almost looks like when zoysia grass is still dormant, but there are spots of blue/rye/fescue that are green around that area.

IMG_0973.jpg

5. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Kinda looks like brown patch. Looks too patchy to be heat stress. I see heat stressed lawns that fade into green areas. And usually a tree will shade a certain area. That tree in the pictures doesn't show any signs of shading; the patches are everywhere.

If brown patch has been around a while, it'll do it's thing and the lesions aren't present anymore, and it looks like dead turf. The only way to tell if it is a disease, is if you catch it at the early stage, and you can see spores early in the morning when there's dew. Almost looks orange.

Also looks like a mower dragged it across the lawn.

6. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

At first some frog eye spots look like Summer Patch. Lower mower height recently?

Brown Patch? I don't see the "Smoke Ring" Do You?

Pythium Blight? Thats my 1st guess from the photo.

Did you do the "Tug Test" for Billbugs? Thats my 2nd guess from the photo. Check It,

Pete D.

7. mrkosar

from Ohio

these aren't my lawns, but i do have a couple that look similar. the roots are still attached and i haven't seen any cobwebs in the morning or smoke rings.

8. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at the yellow/diseased blade under a 10X hand lens. Do you see spiny/hairy black fruiting structures? Anthracnose.

Let us know what you see.

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

In the second picture I see Green on the left. I see three very brown areas 10 feet apart--and three green areas between the brown. Are there partially functioning sprinkler heads in the center of green spots? There is a slight green shadow effect on the shady side of small tree.

In the first picture, I think I see a heat sensitive grass--like fine fescue--(which has gone dormant), and patches of a heat tolerant grass like tall fescue, which looks a little better due to recent watering.

10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Dude, I have been drinking way too many Gin Martini's to answer now - maybe tomorrow.