Disgusted with your help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by carl28, Jul 9, 2001.

1. carl28

carl28 LawnSite Member

Had a really bad day with the help got a kid well not a kid but a 23 yr old baby who just dosen't understand that the way he treats the equipment directly affects his pay refuses to listen to the simple things this kid can cut!!!!!!!! his lines are perfect small guy so he can get a big machine to do things that most of us only dream of. always getting comments and new customers on the basis of the way his lawns look when he is done abut he just can't put it together to run a crew for himself. he just dosent have any motivation to move up the ladder and the longer he stays where he is the more he adversly afects the other guys he works with any suggestions.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

you need to use more periods when you type. i could barely follow along.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

you can do a lot of things but you cant make somebody understand work ethics ,character and taking care of equipment.
    you can try to motivate him but i think we are talking about maturity here.michael jordan was the greatest talent in bb.
    but he wasnt a champion until he matured into it.later

4. Calvin

Calvin Banned
    from Ontario

Carl28,
    If the more periods suggestion doesn't help this "kid" you could either offer him more $$$ if he gets his sh$% together or put him with a good crew boss & let him cut as many lawns as possible. I have a guy who is an excellent cutter but he could care less about doing anything else, trimming etc.. I now just point him to the lawns & let him do what he does best.

5. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

is the glass half full or half empty?

sounds to me like this "kid" is a great wingman. take advantage!

i've got guys who can't cut straight but show up, on time, and give it their best. and i'm satisfied (somewhat) with that.

6. carl28

carl28 LawnSite Member

As for the period comment I hadn't realized that my grammar would be corrected on this web site. I guess I should add that I have worked with this kid for Four seasons now he cuts approx. 200 acres aweek for me and has always been on time and willing to do what ever. Problem is with a company this size he needs to move up or he will get run over by more ambitious employees.
    Despite his good work his harshness on the equipment is slowly losing him what respect I had for him.

7. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

Have you tried making him financially responsible for the equipment. Ie, if he breaks something, he has to pay to fix it?

Alan

8. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Can't do that alan. That's not legal.

You could reward him for keeping equipment in good condition.
    $50/week or $5-10/piece.

But, perhaps this guy isn't motivated by $. Doesn't sound like he is.

Anyway, it's time to isolate the good/bad attributes by putting this guy on a 1 man crew.

9. YLC1

YLC1 LawnSite Member

I have been told by a larger lawn care contractor that he sets aside a small amount of money every year that is used for unforseen repairs(employees abusing equipment).If the money is not used to repair abuse,he gives it to the crew as a bonus. Just a little more incentive to keep the equipment on the job.He had told me he wanted to implement a program with his trucks as well.Good luck.

10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If this guy is cutting 200 acres a week for you, he has to be making you some big money. Wow, that's 40 acres a day. What mower does he run? It must be a 72" or bigger.