Dishonest Church

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by martyman, Apr 25, 2007.

1. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I've dealt with a Church for years (plowing snow, there was not grass) and when they moved from a small house to a large property I gave them a quote for snowplowing and even suggested that if they get a better deal go with it as long as the promise to keep me for lawncutting. I had plowed there small house for years and last year I did the lawn after it was laid and extremly long and spent extra hours at a low price with an verbal agreement from the property manager that he would keep me as lawn maintenance for a few years. I got a call tonight that he got a package deal from the snowplowing company for the lawn and he dropped me...I've had so many guy's tell me that a Church is hard to deal with and never pay and I'm really disapointed.
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

contract:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Remember the upkeep for churches are often handled by volunteers, people elected/appointed to offices for short periods of time. Even if a property manager is the link, that person may be responsible to a board that has turnover of people. The directives handed down may have changed. To you, it may appear to be dishonesty, but to the staff any changes may reflect how the management is being done.
  4. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: whats going on Gamba
  5. John Gamba

from ct

Same old same old:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

Hows my Wife?????:cool2: :waving:
  6. John Gamba

from ct

WHERE'S LEE B.:weightlifter:
  7. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I have snowplowing contracts but in ten years have never needed a lawncutting contract. I have dumped more lawncutting contracts due to location or properties that are not worth the quote that I had given (dog poop or slob customers) to be locked into a contract. I deal mainly in residential homes and generally people are very kind and have kept me for years and never complain because I do a very nice job if they pay me and don't complain. I know how a Church works and its a very large ball of pent up disgust that I have considering they are suppose to be part of the "community" and don't need to pay tax's. I have a Church in my area that did a huge renovation worth tons of bucks and I've never seen a company cutting the grass. Maybe I am a dummy not to make sure that I get them to put stuff in writing a charge the heck out of them.
  8. troy03

troy03 LawnSite Member

Sorry that happened to you. I have great luck with the church account that we have. They want top notch service and are willing to pay what ever it takes and this isnt no dinking size property, its over 8 acres of grass. In my time dealing with them, if we submit a bill by Monday morning, there is a check in my hand by Tuesday or Wed. morning at the latest.
  9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

What John said.

This is why you use a contract.
  10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Golden Rule to remember when working:

NEVER work for Doctors, lawyers or clergy. Sooner or later they'll screw you, one way or another.