1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dispersion + full distance......

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CRUZMISL, Jun 25, 2005.

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

I just installed some Hunter PGP's and was curious on the dispersion of the stream if the nozzles are left unobstructed (ie no distance adjustment) They seem to be a "stream" although it's too sunny right now and I can't tell if they are dispersing well....

Any thoughts?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Dispersion improves with increased water pressure, so everyone's mileage can vary. Most folks first impression is that too much water is landing far away from the head, and not enough closer in. That can be deceiving, because the furthest coverage has to sweep over much more territory than the closer-in coverage. If you want to be scientific, put some shallow cans out (tuna fish or cat food cans) and see how long they take to fill up.
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Usually if your not getting good breakup, recalculate your water usage and avaliable GPM/PSI.

You may need to go down a size in nozzles.

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

3/4 copper is good for what 10gpm??
  5. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Turn the adjusting screw until it just touches the top of the water stream. Gives a little more water in the mid-range and close in watering and should only affect the distance by about a foot.
  6. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

No fair, anybody can quote the Hunter Factory answer :)
  7. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Being a former RSM for a manufacturer, I guess old habits are hard to shake. -chuckle-