1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Disposal Costs

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Shawninfl, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Shawninfl

Shawninfl LawnSite Member

Does everyone take their disposal to a dump site, or landfill? And how much does it cost on average?

2. LawnProz

LawnProz LawnSite Member

We take ours to a farm in our area. The farmer then shreads it and spreads it on his fields. Grass, leafs,small branches or trimmings. Cost $7.00 a yard.

3. Shawninfl

Shawninfl LawnSite Member

Thank you. We have a landfill nearby, but I didn't know the roundabout cost, or if it would be worth it.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

In my case I live in a densely populated county (over 200k households, nevermind population) and so it is hard to find a place for disposal.

I used to try and keep a lower price by finding cheap places to dump, then I got tired of breaking my back with loading / unloading and also got tired of looking, seems every 6-12 months I was having to find yet another new place...

So now I take my stuff to Shoosmith Landfill, an 1100+ acre property that charges $22/ton for organics (leaf and brush), $40/ton for everything else, and a 40-dollar minimum, so basically it's 40 dollars a 6x12 trailer load.

This forces me to charge a minimum of 160 dollars per trailer load, and the price can go up to 200 / load... It hurts some but in the end I find I'm far better off as I'm not getting nearly the demand for this job I dislike... Not to mention, a 6x12 (2 foot sides) full of any kind of debris really ought to cost at least 160 anyway.

5. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

had to get rid of some old tires this last Dec and it cost me $ 6.00 per tire OUCH !! but the other stuff I end up collecting is from the city owned properties so I take it to the city landfill and dump it there at no cost as it is already thier stuff any way

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Middlesex Count y Landfill here in jersey is about 75/ton. Then you add in the 40-50/yr in annual dues. Oh ya, jersey has a fee and a liscense number to be placed on all vehicles, I forget already its around 150-175.

There are places that except just 'organic' debris for much less (so I'm told I haven't gone that route). My nursery excepts the shredded leaves in the fall for nothin. Heck, I'm paying 25/yd for the 'humus' anyway the next year.

7. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a hauling/disposal charge but I haul everything out to the shop and have a burn pit I dug last year. Works out well.:)