1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Disposal of brush and leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by XOFMOT, Aug 28, 2001.

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

I live in a pretty URBAN area and get a lot of requests for BRUSH removal. I can't seem to find a place at all to get rid of this type of debris. What about leaves? What does everyone do out there to get rid of your debris? Thanks!
  2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a free brush site here
  3. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

I deliver it to a local landscape supply, they accept leafs, stumps grass clippings, limbs under 1' in thickness and no longer than 5' long , brush basicly any green lawn waste. I only bring large amounts, as they charge by the cubic yard. the small loads customer disposes of, or I remove by bag and put it out at the curb side for the city to remove. I also charge a disposal fee for any debris removed
  4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

You might consider buying a small chipper to take care of some of your clippings and branches. The mulch could then be used productively. The stumps would still have to go somehwere else. Some of the guys here say that they try to find someone who owns some vacant land to make a deal with, you maintain their property and they allow you to dump on their property.
  5. Randy

Randy LawnSite Member

Here the city comes by with a 10 ton dump with a vac on it,and vac up the leaves and hual them off.Just put them on the curb,and they will come and get them for free.Well it's payed for by taxs dollars.If yuor have a cient outside of town you must get them desposed of your self.I have a few out side of town witch I use the leaves for compost.
  6. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that is the most contradicting statement I have ever heard.
  7. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hey, know of any farmers? take it to a farm brush pile and let it decompose, u can burn it, shred it, take it ur local soil supplier, many possibilities
  8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Should have added wooded area to the post, forgot I was Canadian I guess. It's a little different here we have trees all over the place. I also spread the leaves on low areas of local hiking trails. It is compost and they are happy to have it.
  9. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

i got 7 acres and dump it in a hole and burn it every now and then at night with some drinking buddies fish and tell lies allnight it dont get any better than this.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We have all field in behind us, and all the leaves get dumped on the higher part, and all the brush gets dumped in the lower area. The brush IS building up though over the years. I like the idea of friends around a fire better, myself!:p