Disposal of chemicals

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by fglong, Aug 10, 2012.

1. fglong

fglong LawnSite Member

I'm in Florida but my daughter in massachusetts has a next door neighbor that runs an application business out his house, six trucks, vans, with gas powered granular spreaders. When the applicaters get back to his house at end of day, they walk the spreaders to the side of his house and use the hose to clean the machines. How can this be legal? My daughter says she often feels neaseaous sp? when outside, but when I saw this while visiting, I don't wonder why. One guy had a lot of buildup on spreader, so he must have quite a lot of chem leeching thru his gravel drive. Any thoughts licensed apps?
  2. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Your best bet would be to have your daughter call code enforcement and lodge a complaint. If the LCO is breaking the law, he'll be warned.
  3. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Really ?? I have a few yard that get 200 lbs of fert, and you are complaining of rinsed residue off a spreader ? :hammerhead:
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

What if the guy is hosing off a spreader that has a Pre-Em in it or Insecticide?

5. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Regardless of whether or not the product washed out of those spreader's is doing any harm or not, it is illegal for ANY business to rinse out spreader's at a private home like that in ANY state in the US. A homeowner could do it, not a business. You are setting yourself up for a lawsuit that you WILL lose doing it like that.
  6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

How true. Any wash out of equipment is supposed to be done at the site of usage. Doing it at home is turning your yard into a chemical disposal site.
  7. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here some of the LCO, Mexi's using old gas as weed killer and chemical edge........its getting crazy....
  8. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Hmmm, just re-read this and see that it's a residence. In what town are you allowed to run a business of that size from a residence in Ma ?? Is he even legit ? :confused:
  9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

They should be used not disposed of however washing equipment is legal provided it does not go down the storm drain. Is the grass dead where he washes?
  10. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

In Taxachussetts and Moscow York, there might be laws about how you are required to collect washings from equipment and turn it over to Hazmat. For a very hefty fee. I am glad that the law in my state is to clean out equipment on site of usage. Creation and storage of hazardous wastes is neither mandated nor allowed.