disposing of lowballers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jjfehr, Jun 6, 2001.

1. jjfehr

jjfehr LawnSite Member

Just had a thought about getting rid of these guys. If you have met any of this seasons new "will work for a penny" sign toting types, reffer them the people that want you to work for squat! You know "well, $30 is a little steep, I thought that you would charge around $15-$20 per week!" Just tell that person that you know of a guy that will cut for that, give him the lowballers # and leave for your next job! The lowballer will be glad to cut it for $15-$20/cut and think you are the best thing since sliced bread! By refering him all of these types, he will soon have a full day of work and stop soliciting your well paying clients! I'll bet that you could give a guy like this a 40 hour work week within the first week of the season.
    The worst thing that could happen is the price shopper realizing that you get what you pay for, and calling you and wnating to pay full price for your services!

2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

:) This is called being neighborly, not getting rid of the competition. Nice try. I do agree with the principle and I practice it. Lest we should forget, there is a golden rule and there are people who wouldn't want you messing with their accounts and would be glad to give you one, say, the size that you prefer. :rolleyes:

3. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

I always like when the customer starts by saying "Now I don't have much money". Then what the h*** are you doing calling me. I have gone out of my way to have a reputation of being the highest guy in town.
    I don't know what this has to do with the thread but it is what came to mind when I read it.

4. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I dont know what all the fuss about scrubs are.Scrubs dont have a chance in the high end 'hoods that I target.The commercial accounts I have I had to show proof of ins. workmans comp. etc,,so if they can compete with that so be it.I think we need someone to take one the "trash" accounts,slow payers etc,.

5. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

:angry: Talk about a subject that receives way too much emphasis! How many times are we gonna go 'round this mountain?

6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

there will always be a customer whom will pay for the "cheaper" rate ....they have NO thought of quality ....concern of liability or concept of pride ....fine ....let them ....

the only concern is to get the amount of $$ that you need to live and be able to live by what you get ......if a man can live on $20 or what ever price cuts .....good for him ...his quality of life allows them to be happy with what they have or don't have ......

that does not have to be your needs .....the customer that supports work with a cheaper price is happy ....that worker is happy ....these will NEVER be your customer .....NORE do you want them .....

focus on what you need......what makes your business grow .....what set's you above the others or equal to those like you ....don't waste energy believing that you will get rid of those whom are able to survive or get by on less than what you require ....this will NEVER happen ....

those customers that supported them in the past ...will ALWAYS be looking for another ....when they go .....or never show .....;->

7. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I stand with CSRA!:angry: :angry: :angry:

THELEVEN,
    Couldnt of said it better my self

8. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i think eleven said it best. but i do have to say have any of you guys ever tried to explain why it would be better to go with you because of your higher price. telling the customer that you pay your taxes, have workman comp. KNOW what your doing, dependiblity, and that quality does count?????

how do you know they are lowballing? a lawn that might take you 20 mins. might take me 15mins. meaning i can charge less. with the same size crew, or even less with a bigger crew.

9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Joshua asks:

"...but i do have to say have any of you guys ever tried to explain why it would be better to go with you because of your higher price. telling the customer that you pay your taxes, have workman comp. KNOW what your doing, dependiblity, and that quality does count?????"

Not me. So far I've not felt the need to explain why my rates are in line with the other legit LCO's in my area....either they can see it in their neighbors yards that either I or my fellow professional competitors maintain -
    or they can't.

If they can't recognize the value they are receiving based on viewing my work and talking with my referrals-then I don't need them. I could not afford to service them. They start that tired old "well, BlahBlahBlah did it for this much last year" thing with me-I tell them they they need to get back in touch with BlahBlahBlah...nice to meet you...i gotta run.....

...and I drive away thinking-"No wonder ole BlahBlahBlah didn't make it".

I'll gladly pass those who "squeeze a nickel until the buffalo hollars" off to someone else. I don't care. There are plenty of people who will pay for quality....you just have to reach them. Good work deserves fair compensation. "Ya get what ya pay for".

If another LCO wants to do someones yard for little of no real profit, or even at a loss- why should I care?