Disrespecful Customers,,,,,,,,,,,,

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sandgropher, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Do disrespectful customers bother you??,,,,, or are you happy to take the $$$ and it does not worry you ???

I am talking about customers that think you are dirt under there feet, complaining all the time etc.

2. Mow Mony

Mow Mony LawnSite Member
    from VA

Depends on how profitable the account is... adjust what time you come so they are not home, or tell them you run a tight schedule and don't have time to talk unless it is an important issue, and walk away...

If they still dont get the point, and they aggrevate enough that you stress going to their property, you drop them. I dont deal with disrespectful people, there are plenty of others out there...

3. Approach

Approach LawnSite Member

These types of customers bug me a lot -- even though I know I should blow-them-off. If the customer is TOTALLY a pain-in-the-ass, my advice is: Discontinue doing business with them! However, don't discontinue until you find another NEW customer lined up.

Thus, you are essentially Swapping the Bad Customer with a New Customer. (This new customer may easy to deal with, or hard. My point is: get a customer.) Continue this practice until your remaining customers are the Great Ones (a pleasure to do business with). My guess is: You probably only have 1,2, or 3 Pain-in-Butt customers. This worked for me!

Also, do some reflecting on yourself. Frankly, maybe YOU are being unreasonable or hard to get-along-with.

Ideally, if you have more work than you can handle.... you can pick-and-choose the good customers! It's not all about money in these situations -- especially if you come home and yell at your wife! Again, you are better off trying to find a NEW customer -- preferably ones that gives you a lot of freedom.

4. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

I had a lady approach me about doing her lawn she lived across the street from a acct I already had so I thought it would work out good.First cut she stood on the front porch and watched me the whole time when I went to the back, Bingo there she is. She goes hey you didnt cut under the $3.00 plastic table so I hit it with the trimmer. So she pays me and I go my merry way! So i come back the following week, soon as I park the truck and drop the gate Bingo there she is All 300# in a bathing suit on the front porch She starts whineing right away OHHH you gotta cut it real short this time and goes on and on, so I throw the green barrel Back in the truck close the gate, and say 'see ya bye, Shes like 'where ya goin' in her brooklyn accent, whos gonna cut my lawn I said aint gonna be me lady!!:dizzy: As im gettin the truck shes like cut it any way you want. Nah I could read the handwritting on the wall. Some times you take a acct. thats like ok and some are great people you just gotta weed them out and build a nice route that you like doing, people that talk to you ask about your family. I was at the grocery store on Sat. and had a lawn customer walk up to me smile and I stuck my hand out but she hugged me and asked how was my Winter Guess whos #1 on my list!! You'll weed out the crappy ones. Boy am I glad spring is around the corner!!:waving:

5. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Fire bad customers. Pick and choose who you work for. We should interview customers instead of giving bids. I'm at the point where I'll tell people with arrogant attitudes to go F themselves like I did to a neighbor of a great customer during the last snow. Long story short- she bitched and moaned and I told her to go F herself. My customer called and left message for me to not worry about her, keep doing a great job, blah blah blah. Used to be I would have kissed the neighbors ass. No more my brother. I'll tell anyone what I think of them if they have a crappy attitude towards me.

6. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Well lets put it another way, say that they are not really PITAS , they pay on time and pay very good money but you sense vibes that you are nothing to them, just a lawn monkey,,,,,now this is business right ?? should it bother you what they think of you ?? after all you only want there money not there friendship ?

7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Be very careful about becoming "friends" with customers. It is a business. What you don't want is some day in the future, what used to be a customer calling up asking you to do a job for him, is now a "friend" calling up asking you to do a favor.

Why are you worrying about what others think about you and what you do? Stop that. Work at something you like, enjoy yourself, don't worry about what others are thinking.

I like working outside, I like using equipment, I like working on equipment. And I am in a business where I get paid to do that.

8. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I get em' all... but I'm not in a position to pick and choose at the moment. Years back when I was in the position, I did just that... dropped a few bad eggs after I aquired new ones. I've been invited to the family bar-bq's... told to use their pools after I was done the property.... would even get to play therapist with one poor guy who caught his wife cheating on him. He would call me directly not about the lawn, but about her. Strange, I knew he just needed 'someone' to talk to ... so I let him. Others... treated me as though I was dirt... the 'lawn guy' ... beneath him/her. Those won't get my respect... only my services.... as I only want their money, and could care less about their respect.

Personally, I like learning about all the different 'types' of people out there that make this crazy world go-round. I suppose the only ones I really appreciated were the fiflty rich white collar customers, that REALLY understood what it's like to be outdoors, in 95 degree weather, gettin' dirty.. and would comment about it faithfully. Then I would start the lawn next door and be lucky if I even got a wave and a smile from the home owner...... hahah

9. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

hmmmm... maybe she got divorced over the winter??? :laugh:
    or is hooked on Desperate Housewives.

10. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

easy fix, its called a-hole tax. just up the price alot to the point were youll be happy to work for them then just cash the check.