Dissapointed in Exmark Bagger

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by roscioli, Jul 15, 2001.

1. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a used exmark metro recently with a bagger, and am not impressed with the bagger at all. It blows grass out of the top (where the bag meets the metal attatchment) all over me, and even the bag itself doesnt seem knit tightly enough to hold the finer particles in. Has this been a problem with other peoples bags too, or am I all alone?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I own one of these type baggers but I only used it a couple of times. Mulching now is all I do with it. But, I had a honda 36" with bagger before, and it was made the same way. The fabric has to breath. Anyway, I think all the w/b baggers are just about the same.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Roscioli,

Thank you for taking the time to send us a note. The short answer is “no” your not the only one to experience this.

The debris you are wearing, breating and tasting can be caused by several items. First, lets address the leakage between the mesh bag and the bag mounting plate. The mesh is held in place and shape largely due to the steel framework with in the nylon mesh bag itself. It is not uncommon to find slight variances in the framework or in the mesh itself. These can allow small amounts of grass and debris to leak out under normal conditions. The most common cause of excessive leakage where the mesh bag and the mounting plate meet is because the mesh won’t breathe. When the weave of the nylon mesh becomes plugged with dirt, debris etc. the air is forced to escape someplace. Most often this occurs where the mesh and the mounting plate meet. The best way I’ve found to clean the mesh is with compressed air. You can wash the bag with a hose but only as a last resort. If you can clean it with a hose but be certain to blow it out with compressed air when you are finished otherwise the water will cause the dirt to be held to the mesh more tightly.

Some of the debris you may be seeing is escaping through the mesh bag itself. The bag must not only hold grass but “breathe” to allow air to pass through the mesh and escape. This may be causing some of the debris you are seeing especially if it is very fine dust.

Aside from the grass bag, how do you like your Metro? Please let me know if you have any questions on the Metro as well.

Thank you

Terry

4. roscioli

Thanks guys for the responses. Other than that issue the metro is great. Hoss: I would rather mulch with it, but at the moment i dont have a penny to spend on the kit. Even so, i would be bagging in the fall when the leaves would be coming through and even harder to breath than the grass. SO, i will go clean it right now with compressed air, its due for its 1st oil change now too. Thanks, and i will let you know later on if it helps,
    Michael

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Roscioli,
    Get some rubber foam tape, (weather stripping for doors) the thinner stuff, about 1/4", and put it on the bottom side of the top lip of the steel plate, and on the top inside of the plate right next to the first piece. Problem solved. It wear after a while, but you can just replace it. That stuff is cheap for a whole roll. Just make sure you clean the plate well before you stick the tape on. It worked for me.

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I use the exmark bagger on my Lazer Z HP w/ 48" deck. It's a perfect fit. But yes, it did blow clippings all over me. I fixed it by loosely sewing a tighter weave fabric cover on the top of the bagger. Not pretty, but effective. When that wore out, the aftermarket replacement cover I bought didn't seem to leak as much, so I do without any modifications.

7. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Bruce32,

It sounds like you've found something that we may want to look at. Could you please e-mail me at terry.eckert@exmark.com any information you have regarding this grass catcher.

Thank you

Terry

8. roscioli

Thank you guys very much. Runner, after thinking for a while, I thought that might be a good idea about the foam tape. I will probably combine both ideas, yours and bruces, because it blows out of both places. You would think that the bagger might come with some foam tape pre-installed...

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I may just employ Bruce's idea as well. It surely couldn't hurt.