Dissapointed

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Jeds_Lawn_Care, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Jeds_Lawn_Care LawnSite Senior Member

I recently bought a Hustler Mini 42 w/ 19hp Kawi Kai engine.

Paid $5900 for it w/ mulch kit, flex forks, and tax.

I am disappointed.

Here is why.

First day I use it, I am mulching dry Bermuda grass and grass is blowing out from in front of the deck, I call the guy who sold it to me and he says I can't mulch dry Bermuda. Just won't work.

When I have been scalping for spring (side discharge), I have to double cut, when grass is wet it doesn't side discharge well, (I think because it doesn't have a big enough chute opening) and it bogs up underneath the deck.

I was skeptical about the shallow and tight deck design when I bought it. But Hustler has a good name. The dealer was good.

Here is my question for hustler -

WHY DO YOU GUYS PUT A 4" DECK ON A MOWER?

Every other commercial mower out there has a 5" deck at least. Even Snapper pro does. Ok so your frame is guaranteed for ever. Great, but that doesn't cut the grass.

I am really kinda upset about this.

Can you tell me if I have a defective model or something? Ask any questions you need to know, I am happy to answer as best as I can.

I also understand my conditions haven't been the best, but this is a commercial machine, that is why I bought it. So I don't have to double cut and I don't have to drive slow for a decent cut. The Fusion blades are nice. I like em'. But;

Are they designed to Mulch?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

We don't hear complaints on this machine, it has been a great unit.
    First thing I would do, get mulching blades on the mower, you have to have the right blades for the application.
    How tall is this grass your "scalping"? regardless of brand or deck design if your taking to much off or its wet your going to get limited results, which sometimes (no matter what brand) will require double cutting.
    Conditions and ground speed play a big part in cut quality.
    Here is the information on the mulching blade options.

mulching 794214
    Gator 794230

If you need me to have your dealer look into things deeper, e-mail me and I can facilitate it.

Pj

3. Jeds_Lawn_Care

I am not going fast when I am cutting anything, because I can't go any decent speed and cut the grass well. WHY DIDN'T MULCHING BLADES COME WITH THE MULCH KIT? THE HUSTLER REP. TOLD ME I COULD MULCH W/ FUSION BLADES!

I can understand the scalping part. The grass has been tall and thick. But this is a commercial machine, it ought to really preform.

SO ANSWER ME THIS QUESTION-

WERE THE FUSION BLADES DESIGNED TO MULCH?

4. Jeds_Lawn_Care

So were Fusion blades designed to mulch? I want a YES or NO answer.
    If not, why didn't mulching blades come with the mulch kit?
    Will mamba blades work well with the deck?

If none of these things work to my satisfaction, can I make Hustler buy this thing back?

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Fusion blades are not mulch blades, they are not designed to mulch, if someone told you they are, they were mistaken.
    Now there has been many people that use them with the mulch kit, but they are not designed for it.
    We do not put blades with the mulch kits because many of our mulch kits are for multiple size decks, we cant go and put many different size blades in 1 kit.
    And there is also 2 different mulch blades available, a wavy style and a Gator blade.
    The mulch kits that are for a exact deck size come with the blades in most cases.
    Your mulch kit is for a 36 and 42 deck, so we don't include the blades with it.
    I am not familiar with mamba blades, so I don't know if they will work.
    If your not happy you need to talk to your dealer and work this out with them.
    I am sure they will take care of you either way.

Pj

6. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Thanks for your help Mr. Pj. It is appreciated.

7. Jeds_Lawn_Care

didn't mean to double post earlier, the posts don't show up immediatley and I thought one of the posts didn't make it through.

Sorry if I sounded mad, didn't mean to. I totaly understand now why the blades don't come w/ the kit.

Thanks again.

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Thats what I am here for, no thanks needed.
    I can understand your initial frustration, it happens.

Pj

9. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Can my dealer get me a set of Super High lift blades for my mower?

10. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Mr. Pj I am dissapointed again.

I just measured my blades,

THEY ARE 20 AND 1/2" LONG. HOW AM I GETTING 42" OF CUTTING W/ 41" OF BLADES? HUSTLER HAS LIED.