Distance between pass?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by spcfoor, May 4, 2006.

1. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

How far apart do you all make your passes when spreading fert.? I go about 10'.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I like to spread over to the wheel marks of the last pass, thats about 4ft. this eliminates the possibility of stripping!

3. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

Good rule of thumb when spreading fert with a broadcast spreader is if your next pass is over lapping your last pass just as Indyturf said, you should be good to go.

4. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Unless you have it set on "B"...then it doesn't matter.

lol

5. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I keep my tracks 12 feet apart. This distance allows me to throw fertilizer to my previous track walking at a brisk pace with my Lesco spreader.

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Depends entirely on your spreader, but genrally I like to have the outer edge of the pellets falling in between the spreader wheel marks of my last pass. A Lesco spreader has an 8' spread.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

With my PG Ultra, I make a border pass, then spread counter clockwise, throwing to the right, to the leftmost tire track.

8. lush&green

lush&green LawnSite Member

So let me add to this. We throw to our wheel marks from the last pass. But let me ask this. When I do my perimeter pass on my ultra, I put the shield down. This means that the that area is getting its overlap already, correct. So do you still throw to the wheel marks or slightly off? Will this cause a stripe? Do you close the 3rd hole? I want to hear what ya think..

9. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

your shield should be on the right side, so if you go counter clockwise you throw to the wheel mark on the left.

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with your line of thinking, that if the shield is down, that you're getting the extra coverage.