Distance to dump debris.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nozzleman, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

I was curious to know how far some guy's have to travel to dump your grass/leaves/brush. Since the local place I was dumping at is no longer accepting debris I may be looking at a 1 hour round trip dump run:cry: :cry: if I don't find something close by and cheap. The local land fill want's $80 a ton and I am used to paying $7.50 for leaves/grass and $20.00 for brush per truckload. A lot of the other area landscapers have made alternative arrangements's but since the place that closed serviced most of this area the fortunate ones with somewhere to dump are being tight lipped.
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

you need to talk with the local farmers......all the good places to dump are on farms around here. I dump all my leaves at a farm that doesnt use any pesticides and he composts all the leaves and puts them on his fields. also the DEP in Connecticut is workign on setting up designated dumping locations for such things like grass and debris, so maybe give your local enviornmental contractor a call and ask where they recommend.
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I dump at our city-owned landfill. They have a big recycling program where they turn all yard waste into mulch and compost. Therefore, you can dump grass, trees, and brush for free. It is located about 15 min. from my shop. Very handy and cost effective.:D
  4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

i travel about 200 yrds from my house to a dump field on the farm.
  5. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a local private owned dump that charges me $18 for a full load of brush, $32.00 for a full load of leaf mulch (15 yrds.)
  6. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

we have a company that recycles the debris with a tub grinder. they handle most of the area landscape and tree contractors. we dump multiple loads a day and also have a 30 yd dumpster at our shop that gets dumped at that yard.

do you have space for a dumpster? it may take awhile to fill, but if it were in a secure area, it might save you $$ in the long run, whether it goes to an organic dump or farm or a landfill.
  7. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

I think disposing of yard wastes is going to become and ever bigger and significantly more expensive issue in the future. As potential future landfill sites become more difficult to locate I think what they accept will become more restrictive. In my five year plan I am looking at investing in a quality towed chipper/shredder that I can use to process waste at the site, age at the shop and then resell back to the same customers. Charge them for taking it off and charge them to put it back on as mulch in their beds. 100% of our client base is mulched mowed. We will bag at an additional cost and we leave the bags at the job site for the client to dispose of in their weekly trash.
  8. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

We are in debris dumping He_ _ where I live. Almost nowhere to take stuff. All the Towns & County here want us to drive 2hrs. one way out the highway to do it & weigh in even a small 6.5x12 trailer like I've got !!!!!!!!! Gotta know somebody or have the money to buy an empty lot for dumping. Luckily, I've got a guy on my street but he charges an arm and a let to dump. I pass it on to the client, of course & they all get the speech before hand.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

it depends on where the job is being done at, but usually only about 5 miles
  10. PeterA

PeterA Sponsor

I agree with bam. We used to take multiple trips to the dump. We finally got ourselves a low (about 8 ft high) 30 cubic foot dumper. Cost was about $100.00 to haul away plus 32 bucks a ton. (We are in an expensive area). The labor saving was remarkable. No need to send guys to the dump and wait in line. Maybe you don't have this option, but if you do, being able to have your guys dump at your shop is a huge advantage. Also, if you dump grass clippings, they tend to pack down and decompose, giving you extra room to dump even more into the container.