1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Distance to job?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Stringblade, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Stringblade

Stringblade LawnSite Member
    from pgh pa

I was wondering how far you pros would travel to do a job?
    obviously it has to be worth it, like a decent hardscape job over 5K.

In the past I used the draw a line at 30 min drive not including rush hour traffic.

Lately i have been getting calls about 45-55 min I'm considering this since its the slow season.

I would of course look for places to dump and supply yards closer to the job.
    but just trying to get a feel of how far the rest of you would go?

2. FLCthes4:11-12

FLCthes4:11-12 LawnSite Senior Member

We routine travel an hour away. After that distance logistics play more of a role. You might have to figure some hotel and per diem money for your guys.
    The longest I have traveled for a multi day install was an hour fortyfive. Took me a little over a month. Stayed a couple times in a hotel. But then I figured it was cheaper just to drive back and forth
    . I have taken 1 tree 5 hours to plant. Loaded skid and tree on drop deck semi trailer.
    Also the further the job the more I depend on roll off dumpsters equipment rental with delivery and materials delivery
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. BMB Hardscape

BMB Hardscape LawnSite Member

You draw the line on a 30 minute drive?
    Man, then what I'm about to say may will probably sound crazy to you.
    My average drive to the jobsite is about an hour. I live dead center between two major metropolitan areas, Syracuse and Rochester. It's an hour to either city. The mileage does suck, but I'm not tied to any one particular area. I also live about 3 miles south of Lake Ontario, and a half hour north of 3 out of 5 finger lakes. So occasionaly I get some lake jobs close to home and I only travel 5-30 minutes to work. Those jobs are sweet, but few and far between. I have a unique widespread area that I cover for work.
    But also last year I had a job that was 2.5 hours away, it was a couple week job that we just rented a hotel and stayed down there.

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

As long as you bill for the drive time, to and from, per employee, then it doesn't matter how far away it is.

The bulk of our work is usually about 1.5 hrs away, and I factor in the drive time, to and from, per employee. In 2013 we did two jobs that entailed staying at motels.

5. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

Exactly! If your billing for drive time and making money, distance shouldnt matter
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Stringblade

Stringblade LawnSite Member
    from pgh pa

Thanks for the replies,

I guess Money is money and even if I have to drive 2 hours, long as you quote properly I cant lose! if I lose the quote due to price at least i wont lose money! just the time quoting and the one time drive to have a looksie and meet the Mrs.

7. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I average 30/40 mins but i did a few at an hour/hour and a half and one near boston for my room mates parents and that was 4.5 hrs. Stayed there for the weekend and blew it out

8. tomsyardcare

tomsyardcare LawnSite Member

Guess I'm spoiled. 95% of my work is right here in my hometown. I even do a few of my weekly mows right in my own neighborhood where I can ride the mower across the street back to my house after that 1st morning coffee kicks in haha

9. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

Now I hate you! haha

I wish we were that lucky. We do have a lot of sites in town but some of the big sites are a ways away.

10. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Once travelled for two days to a job site. It was just over 950miles, 1500km's. Took thirteen days to complete. Back then I did whatever it took to make money. Today its no different, will still travel to make money but would not be interested to go that far again! Most of our work is within a 30km radius.