1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Distinguishing Yourself From Other Lco's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassInPA, May 15, 2003.

1. GrassInPA

GrassInPA LawnSite Member

Alright guys,

I have a sort of problem here that I was wondering if someone could help me out with.

There is a lady that I was cutting a yard for while her brother was down in Florida. He comes home and cuts his and she asks me to come over and give her a bid on her yard. I asked her how much the other guy was charging and she tells me $25. I said that's fair, I'll do it for the same. She then proceeds to tell me that she had another person bid and they're asking the same amount.

Now being stupid, I told her I'd edge everytime because there's not that much to trim around. She then says well I have to call the other guy up and see if he edges too.

From what I gathered, she was hoping I would bid low and it would make it easier for her to make the decision. Before I left her house, she said that she'd call and let me know.

I called her today and she told me that I didn't get it and I asked why? Her response was she picked names out of a hat and his name was picked.

Now onto the million dollar question: What little extras do you do or how do you distinguish yourself from the other guy?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I don't think that there could be an exact answer to this question. Because someone could say that they do this or that, and another LCO will say, "Hey, we do that too."

There are probably so many little factors involved in what sets someone apart from the other; response time, personal attention, quality of work, services that are offered, employees & management, billing, reliable service, uniformed, appearance, attitude, reputation...the list goes on.
  3. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

If they are really serious, give them some references to call. Works great. Alot of times what will also work is.show them a copy of you insurance and license, let them know that if the "other guy" were to get hurt or damage some property, homeowner's insurance would really get upset about that. May or may not pay. Also offer "full service" (thats what I do), one stop, one company for all their property needs and maintenance. As far as edging..that's part of my weekly maintenance program.
  4. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

you sometimes have to be aggressive to some customers...does anyone like car salesmen???hell no...do car salesmen sale cars??yes they do...so do it better than others...you are not just offering to cut someone yard...there are many out there that can do that...think of some things that you can deliver to the customer and let them know..."mrs jane doe, i can assure you that you will be pleased with my services..i offer blah blah blah..i have insurance, commercial equipment the leaves a manicured cut etc etc..i currently have an opening on thur's...would that be good for you to have your yard looking nice for the weekend??ask the customers what is important to them..you will find that if you show eagerness to plz the customer, do quality work, and do what you say you are going to do 98% of the time you can talk them into signing up...you can not just get on a mower and expect customers to beat your door down...if you cannot rely on word of mouth to get your business jumpstarted you must, i repeat, must be a salseman when you finally do get in front of potential clients..
  5. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

offer a bid with your services, show the proof of ins. and lisc. then wait for her to call. what ever u do don't and i mean don't offer to lower your price just to get the job. its not worth it
  6. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

What mowngrow said.

About two weeks ago I bid a property and the guy told me up front he another LCO coming as well. While I was there I made sure to tell him I am insured and licensed & he would never have to worry about me being undependable. Two days went by so I called him & he said he went with the other guy because he was less expensive. I said "okay, well thank you for calling and having me over.....I appreciate the opportunity."

Yesterday, the same guy called me back and said he wants me to care for his property because the (cheap) guy he chose won't show up as scheduled!!!!!! So, I'll be working the property for the price I want, and it's about a 2 min. drive from my home making it easy to hit on the way in or out.

Stick by your guns.
  7. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I stand on my head and spit wooden nickles!:D Honestly give them you best shot and move on. I don't get hung up about getting an account nor do I worry about not getting one. Worry about the ones you have.:)
  8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

If you REALLY want to distingush yourself apart from the other LCO:

You can rest assured that, not only will you never be forgotten, but you will be the topic of conversation at every dinner table for miles around.

Try it and see. ;)
  9. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly! No you dont have to be a car saleman.

Just go and do your very best. If they choose someone else due to drawing a name out of a hat, then I dont think I would want that customer.

That means they probably didnt take time to evaluate anyone closely and just decided to pick.

You know the old saying "You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink". You can jump back flips for the customer, but in the end they have the right to choose whomever they wish. All you can do is present yourself and your company in the very best way possible. In time you will start gaining more accounts.
  10. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member