1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Distractions

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by sheshovel, Apr 17, 2005.

1. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I'm doing alot of new landscapes in a manufactured home park,The place is brand new and there are over 100 people in the new homes so far,still bringing in the homes.
    Anyway when I am working on a front or side yard I am constantly bombarded with the homeowners asking me questions and wanting plans and estimates and bids,the ones I have done already stop to talk,complement me on my work or ask questions too.Then there are the ones living behind,next to or across the little street that all want to ask what I am doing how am I doing it or just want to shoot the breeze.I hate to be rude and not engage in conversation or answer questions..cuz that's my advertizement and how I get my work.
    But this is really becoming a problem distracting me and making it difficult to get my work done as quickly as I would like.
    Any suggestions on how to handle this problem?
    How do I keep from alienating them and still get my work done in an orderly and schedualed fashion without loosing future work?/PLease
    give me any ideas to work with here,I have 5 yards lined up and it's my busyest season..
    It's almost like I am trapped in a cage for the people to look at and extract info from.Theres just no getting away from them!! :dizzy:

2. northmichigan

northmichigan LawnSite Member

thats a problem for me too. i work around lakes that have second home owners wandering around with nothing better to do than bother me.my advertizing like yours is largely word of mouth.i try to politely respond to everyone i meet but i have real work to do also. i keep my walkman on my head [with the power off as much as on] to make it seem more difficult for every idle person who walks by to comment on my work but if they do i can say 'excuse me what can i do for you'. sometimes i wish i had an employee whose job it would be to handle all the socializing and pass out biz cards!!!
    mj

3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

get a helper that can continue working while you are selling the next job

4. sheshovel

Have yet to find one that can replace me and do what I do right without costing me $$.I have asked some homeowners to "head um off at the pass"and try to distract the others away,but they get tierd of it after the first 4 or 5 and retreat to the house.

5. sheshovel

I guess trying the headphone thing might work.Anything to help.Any more thoughts or ideas or comments on this topic?

6. sheshovel

Gee thank's alot for the input guys I do appreciate your caring about my pressing problem enough to come up with a few ideas,even if there bad ideas at least it would have shown you gave a crap .

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you can hire an $8.00=$9.00/hr helper that you can insrtuct on the simple things. set this plant here, rake this out... etc. while you are talking to the people. you'll get more done per day AND make more money.

8. greenwithenvylandscape

greenwithenvylandscape LawnSite Member

I get this all the time...talk a minute and then just tell them you only have 15 yrs till retirement and have to get back to work.

9. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

If you don't use them already, get some 18 x 24" coroplast yard signs...we use 2 on each property we are working on, it seems to keep the passersby entertained long enough for us to keep working. Some people just like to ask for the boss or owner so they can feel special...lol..Peltors or mp3 players work well too.. :D ..well, lunch is over, time to get back at it.....

10. sheshovel

What do the signs say,your biz name and #?