Distributing door hangers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by forgop, Jan 7, 2005.

1. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever paid kids to distribute the door hangers around the neighborhood? My wife babysits for a couple of boys around 8 and 10 I think and I was thinking of offering them some money to distribute them to 4-5 local communities when the weather isn't bad. What do you think?

2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I have done it, but make sure you talk to the parent and don't have them work outside their area unless the parent wants to go with them.

Don't forget to give them a crash course on how to hand them out. Make sure they understand that they can not put them in mailboxes.

I wouldn't let a 8 year old do it though. I would shoot for 12+ year olds if possible.

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with you soupy on the age minimum being 12. I have an 8 year old and for many reasons I would not allow it. On top of that she doesn't have the stamina to distribute 100's of flyers without becoming bored and tired.
    A 12 year old is more mature in many ways and if you find the right kid, he or she will be able to do the work. Get out there and work off some of that thnaksgiving dinner thats still sitting around the middle. Good Luck

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Might even check with you local cub scouts...they might be of some help.

5. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

Now bear in mind I have no legal or employment expirience, but I would think that paying children to hand out flyers is going to get you in lots of trouble. Granted it may go smooth, but say they hand out a flyer to someones house that goes crazy about the idea and calls the labor depart ment or something. Or worse, something happens to them and the parents try and hold you responsible. I think it may sound like a good idea, and a cheep one at that, but i'm not sure if i'd be willing to take the risk.

6. walker-talker

from Midwest

just tell them you are not paying them, but making a donation. You see little teeny boppers having carwashes all the time. They are providing a service for compensation, no different than passing out flyers. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

7. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

FORGOP: I have been researching the same thing. I have found links on this website that has companies that do this as a job. The prices for suburban Chicago was about $155 per 1000 w/ a 5000 minimum. I was going to pay people $6 an hour to do but also learned on this site that the average person will do about 300 per 8 hour shift so its pretty much a wash and maybe even a little cheaper. The best bet would be to see if you can "piggyback" with someone (pizza, drycleaners etc) and get a discount. Good luck and let me know what you decide/how you decide to do it.

8. walker-talker

from Midwest

$155 per 1000 ....thats .155 cents each. I found a way to get them delivered for .03 cents each. That's neighborhood newsletters. Might check them out locally. I am not using door hangers, but flyers. I think you would have a better response rate with doorhangers, but to save this much money a guy could afford to distrubute many more to make up the difference....IMO.

Matt

9. walker-talker

from Midwest

Good idea there. There is a pizza hut down the road that hangs doorhangers. My brother works for them and does theres. He said he would hang mine also, but I would hate for him to get into trouble. Anyway, their's are one-sided. I might be able to speak with the manager and go in on some and make them double sided. Pizza hut being a franchise might not go for this though.

10. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

My first year in business I had flyers attached to Papa Johns pizza poxes. The only problem it they were going to apartments etc. I was paying 6 cents a piece and think I did a 1000. I think we picked up closed to 10 customers. The following year they had a new manager that would not do it. The same with Pizza hut and Dominoes. They said only for charities.