Distributing Flyers on cars?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Mar 25, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone had much success with putting flyers on cars ( under the wiper)?
    I did about 500 last week and didn't get one call that I know of. This is of course about 5x faster than going from home to home but yet I'm sure it's a little more annoying for some that don't need the service. Just wanted to get some input to see if I'm wasting my time or not.

2. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

i second that.

3. Norwell

Norwell LawnSite Member

In my opinion this is just not worth it. Depending on the area you are in you may be setting yourself up for some car repair bills. We did a similar thing when I sold cars. We would leave what was called a "would'cha take" and make an offer on the car hoping to get people into the dealership. We got people in their alright...claiming we scratched their paint, bent their wiper, broke their window. Plus I feel that you cannot target your audience very well. For all you know half of the 500 you passed out went to apartment and town home owners/dwellers. Unless you're passing them out at a golf club, which will never happen, I would think you are spinning your wheels. However this comes from someone who has been out of the game for a while. I'm looking to get back in and would still go door to door...feels like more control to me.

4. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah but what areas would you be targeting with the flyers on the cars method? You might put it on a car thats 20-30 miles away or all of them could be way out of your area. I gave up on handing out flyers cause I never had any luck with them. I only run ads in the paper, direct mail and going to run an ad with post mats at some local diners

5. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

I would say don't do it! I personaly Have never looked at anything left on my windshield when comming out of a store. I just take it from under the wiper and throw it on the ground,that's right. I figure that nobody has any right to touch my car or truck and pobibly not the shopping centers blessing to harrass there customers. If there is enough crap blowing around there parking lot I'm sure the solicitor will be getting a phone call,but not the kind they want.

6. MattDavis

MattDavis LawnSite Member

I would be pissed off, nothing like getting into your vehicle in a hurry, turning the key and relizing you need to get back out to retrieve the flyer someone left under your wiper......or worse yet not noticing it and having it bow away on the highway.........

7. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd call to ask who the hell you think you are putting that crap on my truck. If you were in the parking lot still I'd drive by and throw it back. Thats a cheap and very unprofessional way of advertising, I always think if this is how they advertise just imagine what the service would be like.

8. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

Like others have said DON'T touch my truck..

I would call you but not for lawn work.:hammerhead:

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This has been discussed before, and it is about as amateurish and unprofessional as you can get. You are trying to be a professional service not a freakin' barbeque stand that just opened up down on the corner lot. besides that, even if it WERE somewhat accepted as a business practice, what type of people are drawing? What type of people are you shooting for? y9u are hitting people who by far aren't in the market, people who live in apartments, people who live in trailers, and areas that you probably wouldn't find to be "economically feasible" for a service business such as this. Other than that, yes...I too have told these guys running around littering lots to stay away from my vehicle. It sounds like a great way to end up fixing someone's scratched fender, to me.

10. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

If someone put a stinkin' flyer about mowing my yard on my nice car I would be very pissed! Except I'd go a bit further than these guys and I'd pull out a bow and arrow and put a hole in your freakin' leg!:laugh: