1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Distributing Flyers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Patfo, Mar 11, 2001.

1. Patfo

Patfo LawnSite Member

When distributing fliers, especially with the prediction of wet weather, do you guys first put the flyers in a plastic bag and then attach to the door? If so would an office supply store such as Staples carry them? Or just wait for dry weather? Thanks for any feedback!
  2. David Hickerson

David Hickerson LawnSite Member

I hire out to put my fliers on doors. Pay $40 per 1000.

When I did put my fliers out myself I just rolled them up enough so that they would stay on door. I had never put them out on rainy days though.
  3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

have you tried the newspaper box. not the mail because the mail man will take it. or just simply put in the door way but put it where they can see it.
  4. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I was wondering can you get in trouble for putting the flyer in the newspaper box?Do alot of you guys do this?
  5. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

Have ya thought about mailing them out? Ya spend a little in postage but save alot in drive time and fuel. Plus if ya do a postcard size it is even cheaper to mail....then let it rain! Just an idear!
  6. LScom Addict

LScom Addict LawnSite Member

We buy our plastic bags from a company that sells them to the local shopper. There are other companies that have them too. Call Lesco. They sell bags that can be custom printed or not.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The newspaper boxes are not protected by any laws and are fair game for putting flyers in. This is the way I started my business.

When the local newspaper went from front porch delivery to mail post delivery they did not ask me if they could mount a plastic box on my mailpost. I do not get the paper, my neighbor does but the box is screwed to the post that I bought for the mailboxes.

The only problem is you need an english version of a car to legally get the flyers in the box. Driving on the wrong side of the road is against the law in some states:)
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I think the best way if someone is planning on using the newspaper boxes to distribute their fliers is to take along a passenger with you. The passenger can do all the stuffing while the driver can keep his eyes on the road. Makes easy work of passing out fliers.
  9. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I agree w/ Jodi... I almost got busted the other day for driving on the wrong side of the road in a development.

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to give away some of my trade secrets cause competition is at an all time high in my area, but I get the small plastic bags from the local newpaper, then I put my flyer in with a small rock and staple it closed. Then I have a buddy drive me around in the middle of the night as I drop these next to the mailbox the weight of the rock keeps it from blowing away and gives it some weight so you can toss it.