distributor pricing

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by tdf, Sep 2, 2008.

1. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

Every time I go to buy something I feel like the guy is sizing me up and typing in whatever he thinks I will pay. I thinks I am going to switch to an online supplier who will give me contractor pricing up front so I can price my jobs accuratly based on what I know it will cost me. I have heard others here use FOLD and Terradeck. Maybe I will check them out. I bought a complete system today and after asking him why some of the stuff was alot more than I thought it would be he adjusted the pricing on a few and lowered the bill around $100. I am happy to save a hundred bucks but I don't like doing business like that.

What do guys think?

TDF

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm just getting into lighting so I will be watching this thread. There isn't any "dealers" in my town so I need to look else where.

3. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Your customers price shop so why shouldn't you? It only makes you a wise consumer. If you can even save 10% on a job that is one out of ten jobs where you don't have to pay for the parts. Good Luck. What is your discount off of the List? should be 30-40 for starters.

4. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

tdf, plm,
    Check out both of the distributors you listed. I use Terradek mostly as they are only 3-4 hours away from me so I usually recv my orders in 1-2 days and no shipping charge. plm that might work great for you also as they are located in Minnesota.
    Keep in mind that whoever you decide to go with ,and others i'm sure, that they also may have different price tiers depending on how much you buy from them and if you belong to any mutual associations. Ask them.

Good Luck!
    Keith

5. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

I don't mind the tier thing because I will charge the customer based on what I pay. My biggest complaint is the pricing not being consistent and being based on the whim of the guy behind the counter that day.

6. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe he was giving you level 1 discount then after you said something he moved it to a level 2?

7. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

But all the items didn't change.

8. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

The well light were 25% off list. The other time they were around 45%. and it looks like one time it was around 30%

9. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I use FOLD, they specialize in lighting and offer a big variety of materials in stock, and they offer great support. I met A.J., Chuck, and Denis in person, great guys who are really into the lighting business.

10. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

FOLD is good. The very same things said above apply to Terradek as well.
    I can only lead you to the water..........

Keith