Distributor Systems and timers

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by reb12, Jun 17, 2007.

1. reb12

reb12 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Florida

OK, I have a few clients that want, and are in need of new RB ESP timers for their old distributor systems. They don't want to spend the $ to upgrade to electric valves, but want a timer that can retain settings during power outages. I can pigtail the one solenoid to 4 or 6 zones in the timer and then program in a 1 minute delay to give the system time to rest between switching zones. These are usually 4 or 6 zone systems. I just join 4-6 wires to the one wire on the single solenoid and then set a delay in the timer for one minute. Problem I'm having is when I run "test all valves" the delay dosen't kick in and I still end up walking back to the timer to manually change the zones. Any ideas??

Thanks, Rick

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Why not use the 'Pump' terminal? Or it might be marked 'Master Valve'

3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

If your replacing the clocks, why do they HAVE to be ESP's? Get a clock that allows the delay even in test. Otherwise, why not use the alt program as a 1 or 2 min test cycle instead of the "test" mode.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

And which clock would that be, Mr. smarty pantz?

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

If they are only 4-6 zones, add more modules to it and create your own test cycle. Make program C your personal test cycle. Zone one 3 minutes (or what ever you want), then zone two 1 minute, zone three 3 minutes, zone 41 minute, etc. So if it is 4 zones you will end up with 7 zones including the one minute in between them all. 6 zones will be 11 zones. Get the idea?

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Good idea about running a 'test program' ~ I never do use the pre-programmed C program on the Hunter SRC, but I like that it's there for a homeowner, if they want.

In the old electromechanical days, it was common to 'waste' half the zones on a clock, if a long delay between zones was needed, in order to let a deep well replenish itself.

7. reb12

reb12 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Florida

The ALT program method is the best. It's amazing sometimes how the simple stuff escapes you! I use the ESP's a lot downhere on the Gulf Coast fo FL and I really like them. Except for that damn recall!!!!

Rick

8. bicmudpuppy

Irritrol RainDial
    Hunter Pro-C (and I think the ICC, but not positive)

I'm sure there are others.

9. bicmudpuppy

Programing a test cycle is one of the first things I like to do. Using the test cycle for winterizing speeds things up, BUT I'm used to systems that ARE NOT manifolded. Manifolds are much easier to winterize from the boxes.

10. Install a pigtail and use a remote.