Disturbing info about Honda trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by toby, Apr 3, 2002.

1. toby

toby LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Went trimmer shopping today. Looked at Honda's (2 cycle), Kaw, & Echo. Phasing out the Sthils (too many carb problems).
    Best price was the Honda 2 cycle (4 cycles too heavy).
    However, according to dealer, the Honda 2 cycle is identical to the old Sthil 76 (same engine). Also Honda only offers a 90 day warranty on their trimmers, the rest offer one year.
    Also according to dealer there will be a 4 cycle Sthil next year that runs with MIXED gas.
    Is my dealer on crack?

2. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Toby, check on the stihl's that have the adjustable carbs. I have heard from my dealer that stihl is going back to them and they are in the new fs85's. I have one of the old non adjustable ones and had to purchase a new carb when mine wouldn't run right. Don't rule out stihl's just yet. See if your dealer has one that has the adjustable carb on it. You will not be sorry if you get it.

Scot

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i got a stihl brochure today that states a new fs-250 can take out the occasional water moccasin!!!!!!

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Toby wrote:

Is my dealer on crack?

No, he isn't. A bunch of maufacturers are going to this type of lubrication system for 4 stroke engines including Shindaiwa.

The reason for this is pretty basic. It's simplier, cheaper and lighter weight than the more coventional 4 stroke lube system that Honda is currently using.

You're probably wondering to yourself "But they are still burning oil with the gas, isn't that an emissisons problem?".

No. The emissions problem with 2 strokes is that too many unburned hydrocarbons (raw fuel) are going out of the exhaust.

In a 2 stroke engine the exhaust ports and the intake ports are both open at the same time so every time the engine goes through that cycle some of the unburned fuel goes right out the exhaust.

In a 4 stroke engine the exhaust process and the intake process are completely seperated thereby eliminating most of the problem of unburned fuel going out the exhaust.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Toby
    Scot Is Wright. Stihl Learned A Leson On The Carb's. I Have two New sthil They Run Great:D
    Johnny G.:cool: :cool:
    LAWN1ONE CT.

6. A.U.steve

A.U.steve LawnSite Member

Vipermanz

l took out an Eastern Brown with a Shindaiwa thats pretty scary considering it's the second dealiest snake in the world.

Steve

7. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i would have been afraid it would come up the shaft!!!!!!!!

8. A.U.steve

A.U.steve LawnSite Member

Vipermanz

l took it's head off, nearly **** myself, imagine if the head had flown back and hit me, the fangs could have gone in.

Steve

9. ow man

ow man LawnSite Member

Richard, Great explanation on the emissions theory. You are absolutly correct. (souds like you have a little mechanical background) Also did you know that Redmax's Stratocharged engines use a two throat carb. One is air-fuel mix, the other is air only. Just prior to the fuel-air mix entering the cylinder, the air only is pulled in and pushed to the exhaust port side, making a clean air barrier that traps the raw mixture so little to none escapes. The result, Phase 2 cleaner air that uses a cosiderable less amount of fuel. BOY OH BOY the technology of today!!!

10. totallpm

totallpm LawnSite Member
    from Utah

We just picked up our new stihl yesterday. They all have adjustable carbs and run awesome. They had a few old in stock but after the advice of you all we made sure they were adjustable. And you can not beat the warantee.

four 85 trimmers
    two 85 straight shaft stick edgers (they rock)
    one 85 split boom with trimmer, 90" hedge trimmer and tiller
    two 85 blowers

Kevin Total Landscaping