Ditch bank cutting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C&C Landscaping, Nov 23, 2009.

1. C&C Landscaping

C&C Landscaping LawnSite Member

Took on a client with 250 ft. of ditch bank. My question is what is the best way to maintain it. Looks like I can make one pass with mower down each side the rest will have to be string trimmer or something else. What would you recommend?

2. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on how steep the grade. I bought a WB brushcutter this summer and it will cut most of the ditches that I used it on. But you will still need some trimmer work to give it a better finished look. In the past I used an old beater Craftsman 20" pushmower to do jobs like that. Sometimes a trimmer is the fastest way.

3. C&C Landscaping

C&C Landscaping LawnSite Member

First thanks for the help. I think its to steep to be safe to use a push mower.
    Thanks again
    Clay

4. laird006

laird006 LawnSite Member

tie a rope to the push mower. lol. it works.

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

You'd be better off posting a pic of said ditch line.

6. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

if it to steep for a push try a "snip and mow" for a mower quality cut with a trimmer

7. XLS

we have a Few and they work great for day to day mowing with the line trimmers.

8. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Just use a trimmer. Thats what we do. It's not as bad as it sounds. Really easy actually. Don't waste your money on something else. Just use your trimmer.

9. howierd3866

howierd3866 LawnSite Senior Member

we use our boom mowers but if you can run a mower down each side well most of the grass should be cut the rest just weedeat 250 ft isn't much.Also agree a pic would help to see how much you talking about.

10. XLS

we have many ditches that are 250/300ft. + in llength that the guys just weedeat , you can always bill it out at a higher rate . if this 250' ditch took say over 45 mins to weedeat i might even consider filling it in at the bottom to allow a mower room to mow it out. just another option we have used ourselves.