1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ditch mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Belgium, May 30, 2012.

1. Belgium

Belgium LawnSite Member

Allright looks like i've got 3 options to avoid the trimmers. I think i'm going to demo the ferris first. If that doesn't work i can always try with a pushmower or maybe a tow-behind trailmower behind my atv or ztr. Appreciate your help guys. Always welcome if you have more/other opinions/experiences. Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. B&SFTW

B&SFTW LawnSite Member

I know I'm new on here, and I'm sure you know quite a bit, but you don't seem very convincing.

I've seen your videos, and the mower is impressive, but $15K impressive? no. you need to make production costs less, or something so you can make it a more viable option for people. the guy said plain as day, he only has one side of one ditch his ztr can't mow, and it's only because of a fence.
  3. C Jovingo Landscaping

C Jovingo Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

What abt removing handle from 21" & tie short rope from corner to corner where handle was mounted, then tie desired length to center of that. Push mower down & pull back up. When i was a kid my grandfather did this on a hill at his house. U could prob leave handle on with rope tied to base of handle, to line mower up for next pass when u get it back to the top. Also seen this done in Niagra Falls with mowers that floated (no wheels or handle)
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. B&SFTW

B&SFTW LawnSite Member

when I worked for a hotel that had a couple fairly steep hills, I mowed them with a 22" craftsman self propelled. it wasn't the safest way, given it was probably a 40 degree slope in many spots, but it was way quicker than a trimmer.
  5. Belgium

Belgium LawnSite Member

I like the idea but the only problem is the ditch is too long and i can't stand on top of it because of the fence:-s and i think i can be way faster with a string trimmer than pulling the mower up and down because the ditch isn't that wide; it's just steep and long. None the less, i really appreciate everyone's help (even from the guy with the r/c mower, he also just wants to get new clients :) )
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

I would keep using the trimmer and just raise my price.
  7. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Theres a vid on YT of a guy mowing a super steep slope with a Scag WB with dual drive wheels. I couldnt find it unfortunately but...
  8. edensgate7

edensgate7 LawnSite Member

Spray a plant growth regulator and you will probably only have to trim it once every 6 weeks or so. For the area you are talking about the PGR will probably work out cheaper when you consider the wear and tear on a piece of equip and the man hours spent.
  9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

That is a great idea!
  10. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

This is kinda what I was talking about but going the other direction on the hill.