1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ditch Witch 1820

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SprinklerGuy, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Didn't know where to post this so I went to the busiest spot in hopes of the most replies. Thanks in advance

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a new trencher. Never owned a big one before. Anyone have one? The 1820 is the larger walk behind with hydraulic steering. I have a job that will start soon with lots of trenching, if I buy it I won't have to rent.
  2. If you rent one enough that would equill or pay more in rental than the payments then BUY it.
  3. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

Had a Ditch Witch 2200 Articulated 4x4 .....(Ride on) Had a Wisconsin 18hp engine w/4' stinger 2"-12" adj...........I liked sitting on my can alot better than walking backwards but we used it to put in fiber optic cable...never irrigation.....so this style machine may be to big for you.....One of the advantages over the wb models was soft ground nearly was impossable with the wb but could be done with the rider (not neatly) but we could do it......Another great feature of the ride on was the backfill blade .....handy handy.
    We didnt have one but they offerd a small hoe for the front of this machine that in the right circumstances could be a life saver....and the $ amounts between the rider & the wb are not all that different if ya shop around.....

May have been no help but wish you well on the search!