Ditch Witch 255sx or 410 ????? Which is better for residential?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by GreatWhiteNorth, Mar 26, 2008.

1. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth LawnSite Member

We are investing in a new residential plow. Which would be better suited to res. jobs the DW255 or 410. We have never used the 410 but like the articulated steering and having the trencher on one unit with the shaker would be handy. Is the 410 just tooooo big and awkward for getting around the "average" yard and does it do more turf damage from higher ground psi. Is the shaker less refined than the 255? Your input is appreciated!

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you have clay and rocks to deal with, you want the extra weight and horsepower.

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Will this be the only machine you will be using?

4. GreatWhiteNorth

We have 100sx now and old trencher. Would like something that is easier on operator than 100. We have Manitoba gumbo clay. OK if it is moist but once dry as in July, Aug. it is just like concrete. When it rains and gets wet it sometimes takes 2 people to push the 100 to get through long pulls. We end up trenching alot because of this and that cuts into profit! Have access to 255 but need our own machine.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I like a 255 a lot. Ive never used a 410 as an only machine.Ours was older ( actualy a 400)We used it for ballfeilds , commercial and some tough ground resi.
    Borrow the 255 for 2 jobs and see what you think. Does a 410 fit thru a normal gate?
    Ground here can get rock hard in July and Augest, we hose down where we are going to pull if its real bad.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

By the way, look carefully at the larger DW machines, since I think they've got two - a 420 and a 410, and the 420 has the 40 horse engine, while the new 410 has closer to a 30 horse engine.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

The 410 is a walk beside , the 420 is a ride on.

8. GreatWhiteNorth

410 with tires on inward (they are off set so you flip them for wider stance) is supposedly the same width as 255 but much longer. I think the 255 would do everything we need and do less damage to the ground but the 410 has wider tires to distribute the extra weight and looks like it would corner tighter with the articulated steering. With the 100 we wouldn't't think of wetting the ground (would just cause head aches) but could if we had the 255. 100 will only pull up to 1 inch pipe.

9. GreatWhiteNorth

Did your 400 sink more than the 255?

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

If it was going to be my main machine I would go 255. Then maybe down the road see if ya can find a used 410.Ive had a 400 and an articulating Burkeen. Both were big for resi.