1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ditch Witch Earth Saw

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by txirrigation, Dec 12, 2011.

1. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i used a contraption similar to that when i was plumbing pools, it excavated 12" wide at the bottom 24" wide at the top and 18" deep, the spoils went to both sides. good thing since it displaced 2.25 cf-per linear ft the fellow that designed and built the machine folded up and i don't know where it is now. you better have your locating cap screwed down tight before turning that thing on.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Offhand, I think the mini-skid earth saw is too light. If you have to go that route, you probably need at least a couple of tons of machinery to deal with rock.

4. txirrigation

from Texas

Ditch Witch is pretty good in our area, so I am going to have them bring it out to a jobsite next week and give it a spin.

From what I hear, the local guys says it is pretty good as long as it is not wet. If it is wet the chain trenhers work best.

5. Wet_Boots

How does it price in comparison to one of their wheeled machines, obtained used?

How deep and how wide are you trenching?

6. txirrigation

from Texas

We generally trench about 8" deep, and around 4 in wide. There is no frost line here so we dont have to worry about that.

The saw should do 12" at 3" wide. I would probably have to trench about
    10in deep because the pipes would be stacked more in a 3in wide trench.

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

stacking pipe in any situation will bring you heartache if you repair or ammend a system, stacking is common in the pool biz and a PIA doing leak repairs

8. txirrigation

from Texas

I use HDPE pipe, there is no such thing as a heatache.

9. Wet_Boots

I can't help thinking that DW miniskid saw is something akin to a Pipe Piper, in weight class.

10. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I think they weigh at least 2000lbs
    Posted via Mobile Device