ditch witch j20 needs clutch HELP

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by moesoo, Mar 1, 2008.

1. moesoo

moesoo LawnSite Member

i have owned and been happy with my j20 ditch witch for several years. it now needs a clutch and upon investigating inside i find i do not know how to properlly disassemble to do this. can anyone give me some appropriate directions on how to?? thanks

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Call your dealer and tell them you need the exploded parts view. With that you can see just how things come apart. Plus you'll have all the part numbers. It's worth a shot.
    PS. Some of the best repair manuals were exploded views of the parts. This helped me the most with automatic transmissions.

3. moesoo

moesoo LawnSite Member

thanks for the idea. called and got exploded view and talked to their mechanic. i got some ideas from both, but haven't tried them yet. moe

4. moesoo

moesoo LawnSite Member

unfortunately, mechanic at ditch witch can not help at this time and diagram leads me nowhere. thanks

5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you tried buying a service manual? Why don't you just start rearing it down and take lot's of digital pictures for reassembly. Good luck.

6. moesoo

moesoo LawnSite Member

i usually get myself in trouble when i take things apart. taking dig. pictures is a good idea. hope it helps. no, haven't got a manual other than parts manual. hopefully ditch witch will answer my questions. thanks moe

7. 74inchShovel

74inchShovel LawnSite Member

I had a J-20 Witch 15 years ago. One of the many items repaired over time was the clutch. I remember it being fairly straight forward, the tranny being so light it was a easy pullout by hand. If you are somewhat new to this machine, get ready to be very familiar with it. It was the most unreliable machine I have ever owned, and there have been many. One upgrade that was huge was an electronic ignition-no points, no condensor, and alot more spark voltage. Just writing this brings back many painful memories:cry::cry::cry::cry: Out of curiosity, what are you using the machine for?

8. moesoo

moesoo LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply! the problem i have been having is figuring how to disconnect the drive train to get clearance to remove transmission/clutch. today i removed bolts securing two bearings on drive shaft to the frame, and got some room but have not yet determined whether i have enough clearance. i came across a place in jackshaft where i am loosening it at some splines, but had to quit for tonight. i have a place in the mojave desert here in calif. and have used dw to dig irrigation lines for myself and neighbors. now i want to install some 'earth tubes' underground to try to get some cooling into my place up there. some say it won't work. moe

9. 74inchShovel

74inchShovel LawnSite Member

If memory serves, when you get trans out, look over bellhousing for stress cracks. Its cast iron, and I remember doing a bit of welding to it. Yes, it can be welded. The jackshaft rides on two pillow block bearings, its been a while but does it have a front U joint? Take a good pic and post it, it might jar my failing memory. Is yours a lever steer, or wheel steer? My biggest problems with the machine were the chain drive belts jumping. After that it was the double chain reduction for the final drive. Fixing either always resulted in getting ones hands covered in grease in the middle of a busy work day. But back to the problem at hand, I dont think there is any challenge to this, you might have overlooked the obvious. Good luck

10. moesoo

moesoo LawnSite Member

yes, thanks for reply. i loosened both pillow block bearings and moved the drive shaft sideways for picture. it has u joint, lever steer, the chain has jumped once for me--almost never saw so much grease, grit and gunk on a machine. am trying to attach picture i took this morning. thanks moe

ebay2 064.jpg